Author Topic: pictures of todays knot tyers meeting in Rotterdam  (Read 7752 times)

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
pictures of todays knot tyers meeting in Rotterdam
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:24:54 AM »
Hello fellow knot tyers,

I've put a couple of pictures of todays knot tyers meeting in Rotterdam on my web site.

You can view them here if you like: http://home.tiscali.nl/knotsandknottying/igkt241107.html

cheers!

Andr? van der Salm

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
Re: pictures of todays knot tyers meeting in Rotterdam
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »
An enthusiastic wave for Ria who was at the braiding conference in Japan with me.  Ria spotted a display of knots in one of the subways in Kyoto and took me there (thanks again, Ria!!).  The day after we went to look the display had been taken down, so the timing of all this was serendipitous bordering on pre-destined.  I took pictures of the display and the information poster as well.  With some help from various people, but most particularly the hotel concierge (in Tokyo where we went after the conference) we called Kyoto and got a contact in Tokyo to meet and talk with (a lovely lady who conveniently brought a translator friend).  Apparently the hanamusubi-ists in Tokyo are a loosely organized informal bunch, but the group in Kyoto is more cohesive.  A book that I picked up just before I went mentions a Japan knot-culture society who were the ones I suspect/hoped were the ones who put up the display.

Apparently, most of them are not so much wired so no websites and not many with email (why??  is not Japan the high-tech capital of the world?  youngsters make your elders get on email!!  darned population density...).  I told her about the guild, though (which was new information) and invited whoever might be interested to Vancouver, so we'll see...  8)  Unsurprisingly the hanamusubi-ists are friends with the mizuhiki-ists, so something might happen on that front as well.

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:14:57 AM »
Hi Andre,

I'm glad to see you had such a good mix of skills and ages there.  That black and silver knotboard really caught my eye.  Do you know anything about it?

Regards
Glenys Chew
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 12:14:54 AM »
Do you mean the knotboard with the circular knot in the middle? I can only tell you that it was made some years ago by one of the regulars who used to be a sailor by profession. I don't know anything about the way the board was setup unfortunately.

The silver / black combination of cords is indeed eye striking!

kind regards
Andre van der Salm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:29:54 PM by Andre van der Salm »

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:42:15 AM »
Who is the boy in the green sweatshirt?
It is so good to see young people interested in knotting.

TH54

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 11:33:52 PM »
he is the nephew of one of the older attendants. He is very interested  and really wants to learn a lot of different things about knot tying.

GREAT !!

regards
Andr