Author Topic: English Diamond Knot (aka [Knife] Lanyard Knot)  (Read 16811 times)

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
English Diamond Knot (aka [Knife] Lanyard Knot)
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:39:42 PM »
Dear All

I first saw this in Geoffrey Budworth's Guide to Knots (Parragon publishers), where it's tied flat.  But at the 1/2 yearly both Willeke and Bill Holt showed me how to tie it on the hand.  However, the in-hand method they showed me (looping over the forefinger and thumb) is not the method illustrated on http://whatknot.tripod.com/knots/Fship.htm  - which is the only illustration I've been able to find online.

Is anyone aware of an online illustration, or do I try and zap some life into my digicam's rechargeable batteries and put one on myself?

Regards
Glenys Chew
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: English Diamond Knot (aka [Knife] Lanyard Knot)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:30:55 AM »
Here is a helpful link to the Knife Lanyard Knot.   http://www.layhands.com/knots/Knots_Decorative.htm

I hope this helps.
SS

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 01:01:09 AM »
Dear SS369

Thank you - that's a good site.  But what I'm particularly after is the tied on hand version.

Regards

Glenys Chew
Mrs Glenys Chew

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 02:54:17 AM »
And so Mrs. Chew I shall try again. How's about this site for you?  http://www.chineseknotting.org/button/
Pretty stuff there too.
SS

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:56:17 AM »
Wow - Thank you SS.  What a lovely site.  I haven't visited Carol Wang before.

I still haven't yet found what I was taught, but knowing the alternative methods is great - I frequently run short of cord due to my miserly habits of only cutting as much as I think I'll need, and not enough to make zip-pulls with the leftovers if there should be any. ;D

Regards

Glenys
Mrs Glenys Chew

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
Hi Folks!

Perhaps this is my next little video project? It's a knot I frequently tie, so hopefully it wouldn't take long. Should be a lot easier to produce as it's a single knot, rather than a landyard project.

I think it's a beautiful knot for something that only uses a single cord.

Regards,

Phil
www.gr8-knots.com

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 07:06:34 PM »
Hi Folks!

I've published the first iteration of the video showing how to tie this knot.

As with my landyard project, I woulld expect some criticism (sorry, I mean "Feedback") - let me know what you find easy or difficult with the video and I'll attempt to put things right!

The video is available from the "video" menu link on my web site.

Regards,

Phil
www.gr8-knots.com

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 09:30:20 PM »
Glenys,
I think this is the description I told you about:
http://www.stellaceleste.com/htm/knots/buttonknotwith2cords.htm

You can find more discussion on this knot in this thread, (that is also where I found this link,):
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=323.0

Willeke
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:30:53 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 12:02:42 AM »
Well, this has been a horizon-expanding discussion for me.  Beautiful new websites to look at, and links back to a very technical discussion  ;)

Thank you Phil, for doing that video - it's nice to see it done as opposed to just seeing a set of photos of stages.  You have a nice, calm, teaching voice, too.  Just right for encouraging a fractious amateur who can't quite get it right  :D

Hi Willeke - yes, that's what you and Bill showed me.  I use a mixture of methods now, depending on what I'm putting the knot into.  I sent you an email recently, by the way - but it's ok, I found what I was asking for, so there's no need to reply.

What date is it today?  Oh - another 25 hours before I can officially start wishing people 'Happy Christmas'  ;D

Regards
Glenys
Mrs Glenys Chew

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:11:36 AM »
A thought just occurred to me - I saw this in Stewart Grainger's Ropecraft & Knotcraft books, where he says that the single diamond has very little use.  Now - I can understand that comment, because what he was tying was in 3-strand-rope, and the knot was tied in the rope, not the rope in the knot (does that make sense?), but since then I've only come across the decorative form, and not seen the tied in rope version anywhere (although I've not got any Geoffrey Budworth's at the moment, where they would no doubt be found).

Hmm - I must give up reading turn-of-the-19th-century stuff.  I might break my own record for a sentence that should be split up.

Glenys
Mrs Glenys Chew

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 07:38:45 PM »
Heavens! Look at all this lovely decorative stuff going on! I didn't know this was all here, because my kind computer has been whisking me straight to the ChitChat section...
Another lovely video, Phil, but I am glad to say that the Lanyard knot is one of the few decorative fellows that I already knew (although I had considered it just a little bit practical, too).
The only trouble I see with the vid is that it does require - as you mention in your narration - the viewer to simply follow what is being done: learn by visual rote, as it were. Myself, I like the magic of one knot turning so beautifully and unexpectedly into another: 'Tie a loose Carrick Bend, turn it over, poke the ends throught the hole in the middle, and Bob's your uncle' (of course, one has to know how to tie a Carrick Bend, but...) Your looping method rather disguised the Carrick stage of construction - no worse for that, sure, but it's one less knot under the learner's (finely plaited) belt.
While you're here... any tips for making one of those bobbly pineapple chaps over the end of something, or interesting coverings for handles and the like. Once everything within reach is covered in decorative hitching, I'll be wanting to make some tiny boots for the dog, too.

anything