Author Topic: Woggles  (Read 12627 times)

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
Woggles
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:44:43 PM »
I'm going to make a Woggle for a friends little boy in the cubs. Any hints on size and number of leads/bights/materials?

I seem to remember that a Turks head woggle is a badge of rank and not all cubs/scouts are allowed to wear one? True or false?

Thanks for any info.
IGKT Member

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
Re: Woggles
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:15:30 AM »
Hi Doc!

AFAIK, woggles are pretty common throughout Scouting and don't, of themselves, denote a rank.  Cub Scouts in larger packs will sometimes be divided into "sixes" and may wear woggles of differing colours to denote which "six" they belong to, but I could be wrong.

Simplest is the three strand turkshead, passed three times in either flat leather strip or small line, or the 5x4 turks.    The 5x4 when done in, say, #18 cotton cord and then varnished over gives a nice sized woggle and the varnishing  provides a fair friction to hold to the scarf.  It's my choice.

Knotman

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »
Doc,
I made up some woggles a few years back and thought that the headhunter knot looked to be the best one.  A little different from the norm and a story to go along with it. 

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:06:21 PM »
Here is a link to the Knot Heads website, where Brian has posted some of my tutorials for woggles.  Open the tutorial for "Small Turks Heads", and print the sheet.  There are four Turks Heads diagramed, use the one for a 3Lead x 4Bight Turks Head.  Cut out the diagram, and wrap it around a toilet paper tube.  Stuff the tube with newspaper, insert nails at the gray donuts, and tie your knot.  This is one of the most common knots for a woggle, along with the 3Lead x 5Bight Turks Head.

http://www.khww.net/readarticle.php?article_id=49

Pat

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 09:39:06 PM »
Thanks for your input, I will lookforward to trying the headhunters knot, I've got some plans for it in one of Bruce Gants' books.
IGKT Member

yaldea

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:46:34 PM »
Hi only just found your forum so am probably late with an answer.

FYI after 24 years as a Scout leader the scout woggle remained a constant opportunity for improvement, given that all lads and leaders could lose a woggle almost as easy as their way, even with a map in hand.

A cub woggle was cheapest to replace given that they are a piece of colour plastic tubing depicting their six, unless their was a commemorative woggle to wear  eg 100 years of scouting printed or branded on leather.
A scout wears a leather woggle made from a strip of leather with 2 slashes which by dextrous tucks and a popper at the back appears to be a turks head.
A leader also started with that simple leather woggle but progressed as part of their training to earn a turks head woggle made of a stiff leather thonging.

Hope that helps

ARY

anything