Author Topic: Workshops  (Read 9082 times)

capt larry

• Trusted New Poster
Re: Workshops
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 06:28:22 PM »
Hello everyone.  This is my first post.  By way of introduction, I live in Sodus Point, New York on the south shore of Lake Ontario, eastern most of the Great Lakes.  I am a US Coast Guard Licensed Master 100 ton.  Have sailed for many years and that initiated my interest in knot tying.  Additionally I am involved with a Marine Construction company and operate tug boats to move barges and dump scows.

On the workshop topic, I can offer some teaching advice having done various classes and work shops over the years.

You have to get the people's interest.  This is often called using a hook.  Tell a story, show a picture or video, or one of my favorites in knotting, do a rope trick.

Next remember there are three ways in which people learn.  1. Auditory, they can learn from hearing an instruction - only about 10%.  2. Visual, they learn by seeing it done - the majority about 80%.  3.  Hands on, they have do it themselves, usually with instructor guidance - about 10%.  Most people are a combination of all three.  So you have to teach a class so that all three methods are used to get through to everyone.

Happy knotting.

Capt. Larry

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »
Welcome Capt. Larry.
Glad to have you aboard.

I agree with you, words, pictures and action, together they work the best.
And I have recently heard that hearing (or seeing) something 3 times in a short time will put it in your long term memory.
So repeat all pertinent information a few times. Best if you do it in slightly different versions, so that your students do hear it, not shut it out.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »
Pete, in Gloucestershire you can not be too far of Bristol.
I know there are regular meeting, every last Saturday of the odd months, near Bristol. I think they are somewhere outside town, to the North.
You can contact the local people in the Avon area of the Guild handbook, if you have it, or contact me and I give you the right phone number.
(e-mail will work the best, click on the little envelope under my name for the address.)

Willeke
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:48:41 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »
Hi OldPete,
The West Country Knotters meet in Bristol - take a look at the home page on the left click on DIARY then find West Country Knotters - Huge knowledge base there and you will be most welcome, I am sure

Gordon