Author Topic: Knot Books  (Read 6176 times)

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
Knot Books
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:34:01 AM »
Can anyone recommend knot books to me. I am very interested in Turks Heads.
I have the Ashley Book of Knots.

Thank you   8)

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: Knot Books
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:50:50 AM »
After trying everything on this site:  Try Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding, or Tom Hall's books on nothing but Turk's Heads or anything you can find (very rare now) by Turner and Schaake of New Zealand.  Cyrus Day's book Knotting and Splicing also gives great instructions for a beginner getting to grips with THs and the web-site KHWW has some wonderful tutorials for those who want to join up - takes a moment but is well worth it!   ;D

Good luck and let us know how your search turns out?
SR

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
The book i enjoy the most on Turksheads is
Round Knots and Braids..Advanced Leatherwork-Volume 2
by Ron Edwards
fully recommended, even though it says leatherwork it does apply to other knotting (braiding) materials

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »
If you're mathematically minded, there are a series of books on braiding by Schaake, Turner and Sedgwick from the department of mathematics and statistics at the University of Waikato.

In particular, "Book 4/1 - Braiding - Standard Herringbone Pineapple Knots" gives formulae for constructing any turks head, or combination/intertwining of turks heads. There's an example on the following page of my web site of 3 turks heads nested together (sorry, the photo isn't brilliant, but it'll suffice for now) -

http://www.gr8-knots.com/other_coverings.htm

A word of warning ... although understanding the formulae does enable you to tie just about any turks head, it took me ages to get my head around this book - it's quite heavy duty. I don't regret perservering though.

I got the series of books from Des and Liz at Footrope Knots - I don't know if they still stock them. For your info, the ISBN of this book is 0-908830-07-6

Good luck with whichever book(s) you find.

Regards,

Phil

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »
Further to my previous post you may like to look at the following site for ordering information, lots more interesting looking books:

http://www.ramsskullpress.com/

although I got mine from Des Pawson

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »
WRT Ron Edwards' books, it looks like there's considerable overlap between bushcraft issues, small booklets and collected works.  can anyone point out a set with maximal coverage (belts, whips, round braids, turk's heads) with minimal overlap?

about... 10 years (?) ago, Schaake would sell his booklets directly.  he had a small page on the web and an email address.  you could "subscribe" and he would send booklets periodically as you felt you could afford them and had the time to read them.  i got  a first installment and then promptly lost them while moving so i never had a chance to read them.  8(  does anyone down under have current contact info?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:37:27 PM by KnotMe »

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 06:58:45 AM »
Thank You, All of you.

These books shold keep me busy this winter.

TH54

anything