Author Topic: Video on the web  (Read 34832 times)

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
Re: Video on the web
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »
Hi Tom!

Opiates ... I must be honest, I stick to taking plenty of liquids, although I suspect my GP wouldn't approve of the kinds of liquids I'm referring to!

Knots in a bottle - right, my next video project I think! It won't be easy to set up and film, but it has to be worth a try. Once you learn the basic concept, you won't be able to stop doing it. Yet again, it was one of those things an IGKT member showed me how to do, and I was astonished at the simplicity of it. I'm really sorry I can't remember who it was that showed me, otherwise I'd give credit here.

When you're mobile again, you MUST come to one of the meetings - you won't believe what a friendly, helpful bunch of folks they are at the IGKT!

Ho hum .... I'd better start thinking about filming that "Knot in a bottle".

I'll bet your girlfriend can't wait for you to recover - "Get out on that soddin' motorbike, I'm fed up off tripping over all those bits of string ..."

Regards,

Phil

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
you're not wrong! (and to be fair, it may have been the whisky that I use liberally as a solvent)
So these are actual knots in actual bottles, and not theoretical larks of a philosophical nature (like 'brain in a bottle' discussions of ontologists)?
I am intrigued!
x

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 03:35:04 PM »
Hi Tom,

Yes, real knots in bottles. I had a quick bash at filming one yesterday, but it's a fiddly process and therefore difficult to keep short!

There is an example on my site of a bowline in a bottle -

http://www.gr8-knots.com/knot_in_a_bottle.htm

What you need to do is get your piece of cord and tie a loop with a bit of whipping twine (or any strong thin thread will do) through the end you're going to work on INSIDE the bottle. Using a bent coat hanger, or anything thin that will fit into the bottle, you can twist and pull a knot into shape using the loop you tied with twine through the end of the cord. When you've finished the knot you then cut and pull out the twine. NOTE - you need the twine loop to be tied in such a way that it's easy to get at to cut!

I don't know if that makes any sense to you? Let me know. I suppose I could take some photos or draw some diagrams?

Phil

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 03:53:50 PM »
I'm attaching a very simple diagram.

It is possible to "part-tie" your knot before putting the cord in the bottle, or a least put a loop in to start with if the bottle neck is wide enough. Of course, it should NOT be posssible to tie the whole knot and then insert it in the bottle!

Hope the diagram is of a little help!

Phil

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
Brilliant! I'll give it a go with one of this pile of empty whisky bottles beside my bed! It'll pass the time while a wait for my first consignment from Footrope Knots (SO excited! A lignum vitae fid amongst other things! Just like the old days! I can't turn my own because Dr says I am not to get sawdust in my wounds, and the sheets might get caught in the lathe... Is there anything left to do now Health and Safety have got their claws into everything?).
One question: wouldn't it be easier to use a wider-necked bottle, or even a bowl?

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2007, 01:19:47 PM »
"Knot in a bowl", eh? What a brilliant idea - I think I'll steal it before you get it patented. Better start 'phoning round the Chandlers to see who's interested.

Actually, I've often wondered if there's such a thing as cord which expands significantly when wet (and stays enlarged when it dries out)? You could tie something really flash, put it in the bottle, wet it and watch it fill the space. That would look quite impressive, and you could tell folks it took months of hard work making it!

Another idea - cut the bottom off the bottle and insert your work of art through that. Then get your local glass blower to "weld" the bottom back on without showing the join?

Maybe we need a forum for daft ideas?!?

Good luck Tom!

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »
The expanding rope notion could certainly 'fly': so long as one could fill the bottle with hot oil. Flax fibres can't be that different from corn (can they?), and - with correct temperature and timing - I think one could achieve a texture akin to that of a Cheesy Wotsit (US: Cheetos). Aunty Vera is sorted for Christmas (US: Kwanza, See above), but perhaps a Bowline-in-a-bowl would be just the ticket for Uncle George - maybe a DIY (US:Home Improvement) kit: "Just add bowl!"
And (as a variation on the Gift Classic) how about 'Rope-in-a-Soap' where different, ever more exciting, knots would reveal themselves as one bathed... wooo!

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 06:29:05 PM »
And just to show how great your video tutorials are, have a look at this colourful doglead (Tom's decorative project No.2) that I fashioned last night for my brother's new pup! Just an extension of your lanyard, really (Tom's decorative project No.1). Rather than splice in the handle, I finished with a footrope knot (thanks again, Phil!) that can be squeezed through the red bit (topped and tailed by diamond knots - yet more thanks to Phil!), so you can tie the wee snapper to a lamppost without releasing its collar.
I am very pleased with it, but it used up a full 20m of my wonderful consignment from the Great Des Pawson.
Now, if I could find a good bowl, or a soap recipe that didn't involve to much rendering...

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:04 PM »
Tom,

That's fab! I hope the young mutt appreciates your efforts (I'm refering to the pup, not your brother of course!) I'm really quite impressed that you've accomplished something so useful and practical so soon. Very satisfying, though, isn't it?

Now that you're an expert, perhaps you should start knocking up a few key rings for your friends? The two diamond knots, plus the Matthew Walker and footrope knots that you've learned can be used in various combinations to make small keyrings. Don't fall into the same trap as me though - it's easy to get carried away, use thick cord and finish up with keyrings that are too big!

That footrope knot is so useful for finishing things off, isn't it?

Aha, you've noticed how easy it is to get through cord, too eh? Don't worry - Des and Liz will keep you amply supplied!

Good for you - nice job!

By the way, for some strange reason I'm not attracting much interest for the "knot in a bowl" concept!

Regards,

Phil

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2007, 05:05:37 PM »
Perhaps you need a bigger bowl.

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2008, 09:23:45 PM »
I've just got a whizzy new PC and updated from Windows ME!
I can make copies of the Richard Phelan video on DVD quite easily now. Send me a message if you want to discuss this matter further.
IGKT Member

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »
I will send drjbrennan a personal message regarding this issue, as I know his intentions are entirely honourable (as I know from the wonderful feedback I received from him regarding my own video efforts).

A WORD OF WARNING ...!

PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE IN ITS ENTIRITY BEFORE CONDEMNING OR COMMENTING.

Whereas copying video as a backup for personal use is one matter, I would not recommend copying for any other purpose!

I mention this not only in relation to Richard's video, but to any other video production. I know to my own cost as a videographer that piracy has cost me a lot of money, so it's a matter close to my heart. Not for one moment do I think that is your intention, but one needs to be very mindful of copyright.

An update ... I have tracked Richard Phelan down, and we have now met a couple of times now that he is back in the UK, and we are now in the process of producing a DVD version of "Knots Made Easy". This will be a menu-driven DVD, incorporating all the original lessons, although there will be a change to iintroductions, titles and a few other things in order to make it a professional DVD production. There will be some considerable cost to us in having the original "Master" converted into a format from which we can work with, along with artwork for covers etc... On top of which, any DVD production will involve the cost of encrypting the master DVD to prevent "illegal" copying. Yes, I have already captured the original video for producing a "draft" DVD, but this has been done with Richard's permission.

Richard did in fact sell his excess stock of VHS videos, but the copyright is still firmly registered in his name, which means any other production of DVDs for distribution puts the producer at severe risk of breech of copyright. Considering the copyright could be sold for several thousands of pounds, this is a BIG legal risk for anyone going "their own way".

I am, however, mindful that some IGKT members might feel their expertise has been used for commercial gain (as, presumably, they did with the original VHS video), but this is a matter that presumably that was addressed with the original video? Bear in mind that Richard and I are investing money into a speculative venture with regards the DVD, and I would ask everyone to respect that venture (which may, or may not, work).

Finally, let's not forget that, despite this being a commercial venture, it is entirely possible (and indeed desired) that the IGKT will be well publicised by such a venture.

King Regards,

Phil The Rope
www.gr8-knots.com

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
Yo Phil,

I know we all have to make a living, but I feel that you might be headed for stormy waters here.

As the technology becomes available to just about everyone with a computer and a webcam, chances are we will see an ever increasing flood of knot tying videos, some of which will be of excellent quality (witnessed by some of the stunning productions posted onto YouTube et al) and all of which will be free view.  So while you may do an excellent job of it, I can't help but think that it will only serve as a template for all the free stuff that is already starting to be produced.

And then of course, if the IGKT are offered the chance of hosting good knot tying videos for free what do you think they will do?

Derek

oldropes

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2008, 07:27:49 PM »
KNOTS MADE EASY video By Richard Phelan.
It has come to my  attention ?AGAIN? that some who with the best interests in mind are putting themselves in line to be prosecuted for piracy ad fraud. Several individuals have offered DVDs already made and some offering to make them copying of the Video of  the 94 min ?Knots Made Easy?.  The Knots made easy Video has strict copyright issues here as registered in London and also at IP Lab ? Protection. I would like to give this clear warning that if anyone produces any DVD for what ever reason, even for personal use,  or copies this, will be prosecuted and action will be forth coming from our legal department. For those with DVDs already made I ask that they be destroyed and removed to avoid unpleasant action being taken against them. Some names have been given already which individuals will be hearing from my solicitors in due course. A DVD is in process of being made by myself of Knots Made Easy, this cannot be copied as inscription code on it. Please pass this message forward to anyone concerned who thinks they can get away with it!
Thank you
Richard M Phelan. Producer of Knots Made Easy Video.

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »
Hi Derek,

Point taken!

I understand, as you say, that the technology is now available to many more people these days. However, how many people will put aside a year of their life to produce something like Richard's "Knots Made Easy" video? Additionally, as I know from my own experience, having the technology doesn't mean they can use it without lots of training. For example, how long did it take me to produce my web site video? And that was with loads of help and input from you kind folks! Incidentally, I will be removing those videos on my site with a view to marketing KME on DVD instead. I can at least say that I know how to use the technology because I've spent the last 2-4 years (on and off) learning how to do so.

Yep, there are some interesting videos on YouTube etc., but the quality willl not match a TV quality DVD. Our plan is to produce something of much higher quality than the free stuff. Whether we succeed or not, only time will tell!

As for the IGKT - it would be great if they would support something like this (in fact, I believe Des was marketing Richard's video at one time, albeit it from a business point of view with Footrope Knots rather than for the Guild).

Thanks, as always, for your input - much appreciated.

Regards,

Phil

anything