Author Topic: Video on the web  (Read 34830 times)

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
Re: Video on the web
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:07 PM »
Hi Old Pete!

Thanks for the compliment!

Yes, I also have a copy of Richard's VHS video, and I started talking to him a long time ago about converting it to a menu-driven DVD. However, he seems to have now disappeared, and I understand he sold the rights to a third party. I emailed the distributers to see if they were interested, but they didn't reply.

My intention, if I have time, is to produce a "Projects" DVD to suppliment any courses I can persuade colleges to hold. From a commercial point of view, it's unlikely that a DVD on its own would be viable, and in reality I would rather use my own material than adapt someone else's. The IGKT has experts in many fields, and there must be a mountain of stuff worth videoing and putting on DVD, but it would demand a lot of time from other people. On top of which, I think to demand time and effort from other people so that I could make money out of it might be a bit cheeky! If there was a huge market, then commissions might make it worthwhile to them, but I don't believe the market is very big.

Anyway, I've filmed the last part of the landyard project - now I need to convert the video(s) to the right format and publish on my web site. When I've done that, I'll post again to let folks know. That post is likely to be quite lengthy, as I have certain individuals to thank for their input, and I'll need to highlight the lessons learned from the exercise.

Watch this space!

Regards,

Phil

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 06:53:55 PM »
At last!

The landyard video project is finished and published on my web site -

www.gr8-knots.com

I'd like to thank all those folks who have contributed to this topic and sent me emails or private messages with their support and advice, particularly Derek Smith and the Square Rigger.

Before I go any further, I sincerely hope some of you have managed to follow the project and actually tie the landyard!

I have certainly learned plenty from this exercise. There have been questions about video format, which I still need to think about, questions about zoom levels with the video, suggestions about using photos to help explain things, the colour and type of cord used etc. etc...

I accept that the presentation needs improving, but for a first attempt I'm reasonably happy. That's not to say I won't endeavour to improve things next time around!

Careful thought is needed to decide what the next project should be. Whilst my own area of interest (notice I say "interest", not "expertise"?!) is decorative stuff, I recognise the validity of publishing practical stuff too - maybe I'll give this a try? If I do try this route, I will certainly need to enlist the advise and help of IGKT members to make sure I'm doing things right! Having said that, because I've had so much support for this initial project, I know you folks will follow any posts about such a venture and advise accordingly.

Any suggestions or requests for future projects will be gratefully received.

A number of people have asked me privately or in public about a DVD. Forgive me for repeating myself, but the purpose of this exercise is NOT to establish a market for making money from such a DVD (although I wouldn't turn down an opportunity like that), I don't actually believe the market is sufficiently large to make it viable. My ultimate aim is to produce a "Projects" DVD, where I can present something to suppliment any courses I might be able to persuade colleges to put on. Making money from knotting is NOT easy, but perhaps making money from teaching it is possible? That would be particularly satisfying if we can encourage more people to take an interest in knotting, whether that be practical or decorative.

When you consider the number of people making Greetings Cards, surely there's an opening for us to promote knotting through craft courses? Even QVC and other digital TV channels in the UK are devoting more and more time to the subject of Greetings Cards - materials, books, videos and so on. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks once again for your help and support.

Regards,

Phil

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 08:59:11 PM »
Hi phil,

I am still on the second knot but unfortunately all the videos have turned into the intro video ??

Derek

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Hi Derek,

I've checked the server and I believe the videos are correct, but I'll do a more thorough check.

Can you make sure you've deleted all temporary internet files/cookies? I supsect you know how to do that, but just in case ...

In your browser, select Tools, then on the "General" tab select (under section "Temporary Internet Files") delete cookies and delete temporary internet files. Sorry if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs, but I'm thinking quickly off the top of my head.

Regards,

Phil

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Whoops!

When you click on "Tools", you need to then click on "Internet Options" before going to the "General" tab.

Sorry,

Phil

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »
No Luck Phil,

Parts 1 to 5 all play the intro, parts 6 & 7 play the Footrope knot which I managed to right off - first go -- YESSS

Although the properties for each of the links 1 through 5 all seem to link to separate files, they all just play the intro.

I'm using Firefox with NoScript, but have allowed gr8-knots.com

The links all worked until this latest review, I have accessed the diamond knot series several times and not needed to delete temp or cookies.

Thanks for the Footrope knot - now all I have to master is the diamond.

Derek

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:45:02 AM by DerekSmith »

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 11:17:33 PM »
Hi Derek,

Just tried Firefox and had the same problems. I've had problems with Firefox before with "Screen Capture" lessons I've published on graphics software applications because Firefox handles ActiveX controls differently. Additionally, I also find that Firefox doesn't display even plain pages the way I expect it to.

Ultimately, I know I should make sure that whatever I publish will work with Firefox as well as Internet Explorer, but I must confess I've got fed up with Firefox - I know that doesn't help those who prefer it to IE, but unless I really need to do it for commercial reasons, so far I have found it's not been worth the effort.

Any chance you could fire up Internet Explorer to view the site and the videos?

By the way, I posted a sample to you today.

Incidentally, it's ironic that one of the video links you gave in your message show's the trucker's hitch - that's one I suggested for one of your "Desert Island" knots (although I called it the "Lorry Driver's hitch"!). Mind you, it sounds like Dan isn't a fan of that particular hitch.

Phil

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2007, 01:06:32 AM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the sample, I look forward to studying it.

I don't think this issue is a Firefox thing, because up until today, I could access all the tutorials without issue.  It has only been this last site revision which has created the problem.

Sadly, if a site is not accessible to Firefox, then that site goes unaccessed.  The days of IE on my machines are long gone, if it were not part of the OS it would not even be gracing my hard drives.

Still, thanks for the tutorials, they were fun.

Derek

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Hi Derek.

I couldn't abandon you after all your support! I've reloaded the site and everything now appears ok in Firefox (well, the videos play anyway). For some reason I had to re-upload some files more than once. The daft thing is that the files on the server are the same whatever browser people use, so it's quite frustrating that they don't appear the same!

The formatting of the pages is different in FF than IE, which basically means having to scroll down further, but I guess that's a minor issue.

I guess I will have to look at the technical side of FF, as more and more people are using it? I know my main web site looks a mess in FF - some videos don't play, and some menu items have aqcuired underlines.

Anyway, you should now be able to watch ALL the videos - let me know how you get on. Every light pull in your house is now going to have this landyard?

Good Luck!

Phil

EddieBro

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »
Hi Phil,
Just finished the lanyard project on your site. I thought it was very well done. I had to retie the diamond three times, and the footrope knot twice, no fault of yours, as you warned they were complicated knots. I have alot of experience tying practical knots and  a little tying sennet. It took me about 5.5 hours to tie the whole lanyard, I don't know if thats fast or slow, but I thought it good for never having tied any of the four knots involved. I just wanted to let you know how well I thought you have done. I hope you are still working on more, I for one can't wait for the next project!

Well done!

Thanks

Eddie Broyles

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 10:45:34 AM »
Hi Eddie.

I'm glad you perservered and got there!

5 and a half hours? I think when I first learned the three knots it took me a lot longer to learn them, never mind "string them together".

Thanks for the compliments too - it's nice to hear that the video worked for you.

I intend to do more, but at the moment I'm concentrating on finding a job! My video business is not really paying off for the amount of hours I'm putting in, so I think I'll look for a nice, low-stress 9 to 5!!

Keep practicing!

Regards,

Phil

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »
One lanyard in hand, thanks to you Phil! (Merry Christmas, Auntie Vera!) All worked very smoothly, and after a couple of practice attempts with the the video before me, I can do it from memory, and more to the point, it makes knotting sense! Rather than just learning  fomula by rote, I can now see how it fits together. The Phelan video is very confusing by comparison, and much too fast - it also involves a lot of knotty terminology that is not explained to the newcomer ("crown up", "wall down" &c). He also has a tendency to cover his work with his hands, though the highlighting of individual strands with a felt-tip to show a tricky bit works well. And, frankly, some of his anecdotes are nonsense: I doubt very much that 'seeing stars' has anything to do with star knots!
Roll on Phil-the-rope's DVD endeavour!

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
    • www.gr8-knots.com
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »
Hi Tom.

So, landyards in everyone's Christmas stocking this year, eh?

"I can see how it fits together" - this is so important, isn't it, and I'm really chuffed you have achieved that!

A slight aside - you should start trying to tie knots in bottles because understanding construction is essential. In fact, tying a knot in a bottle really does concentrate the mind, and you do have to think about how a knot is constructed. A good exercise for anyone. Ironic really, that my "knots in bottles" are restricted to basic knots, when my passion is for decorative stuff - if anybody expects me to tie a mulit-strand bellrope in a bottle they can get knotted!!!!!!

I must confess that I learned a lot of decorative stuff from Richard Phelan's video. Yes, it took LOTS of practice with some of the knots, but I think he did a decent job.

So far, all I've produced is a simple (well, "simplish") landyard video, and it took several iterations before I achieved something acceptable in terms of producing a worthwhile video, and my thanks to IGKT forum members for helping me with that. Richard produced quite a long video, and he must have refilmed so much before he was happy. I agree that some of it is confusing, but where do you draw the line? I think I'll try to build up slowly to a "portfolio", for want of a better expression!

As for anecdotes, I must confess I had my doubts, but wouldn't dare contradict anybody 'cos there must be millions of opinions on the history of knots!

Right - I've just filmed the tying of a single strand diamond knot (or "friendship" knot ...), so I'll be putting together a streaming video for my web site soon. I'll post something on the "decorative" forum when it's ready.

Tom - just because you've found this passion for knotting, that doesn't mean you can become a couch potatoe and forget about all the physio and exercise you need to get that leg working again!

Right - better see what the captured video of the single strand diamond knot looks like, add a voice-over and get that video published on my site!

Regards to all you fine folks!

Phil
www.gr8-knots.com

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2007, 03:35:23 PM »
Fair dos - I can't wait for more installments in your project. I've just had another look at the Phelan video this morning, and some bits are indeed good, but I appear to have 'zoned out' during those on first viewing. He certainly makes it look easy. Quite large chunks of it appeared to be new to me thanks to the marvel of opiates! How do I get my hands in the bottle to tie the knots?