Author Topic: what are the lashings that are used when making primitive tools, spears, etc.?  (Read 6488 times)

myoman

The reason I've taken up knots as a hobby was originally to find out what kind of binding was used in primitve tools. I had seen several shows of "Survivorman" were Les Stroud made a spear out of a knife and a large stick and a trident out of a large stick and three tire spokes. When binding these items, he attached the knife and the spokes with what looked like a form of basic whipping, or some type of fishing knot, but I couldn't be sure.
Tom brown's wilderness survival and some other books show how to make hammers, axes, various traps, arrows, and fishing lures using an unknown binding; the pictures just show a wrapped stick without any ends showing or sticking out.
The closest I could find with seven knot books and hours of looking on the internet was a large-scale form of common whipping, round lashing (though it looks nothing like round lashing) or a fishing knot for a flat hook.
Please help me, this is my main reason for coming on to the board here. Thanks!

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

myoman

Thanks for the post, I was wondering though, if there was any specific technique as you see in common whipping, or the use of clove or constrictor knots, and if there was anything official on the subject that I haven't seen before.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Hi Myoman,

Have a look at the Maori binding method.  Although mostly used as a decorative binding, which is probably why it has survived, it cleverly uses internal leveraging to crank up the grip.  This happens at the herringbone.  As the last wrap crosses over the previous, it bends it down, making it take a longer path and so tensioning it.  This cord in turn, being more tensioned, bears down on the cord it crossed, forcing it to take up a more stepped line and in turn lengthen and increase in tension.  Try it, you will find it is a really simple yet very powerful tensioning device, magnifying the wrappers tension manyfold.

http://igkt.pbwiki.com/Maori%20Bindings

http://igkt.pbwiki.com/knot-3_toki

Please let us know if you uncover anything else.

Derek

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
I remember reading that many of these lashings using rawhide or gut, shrink when they dry which produces a very tight and firm lashing. Tucked ends are held very tightly and elaborate knot work is not required.
IGKT Member

Brian_Grimley

Below are links to sections on angling and hooks from ethnological studies from Pacific studies. At the bottom of each page one can access a "Table of Contents" and find some other examples of lashing and information on the materials and types of line used.

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-BucMani-t1-body-d1-d4-d7-d4.html#BucMani-fig-BucMani180a
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-BucTong-t1-body-d1-d12-d4.html

The many types and methods of lashings was quite a revelation to me! It gave me a greater understanding of the simple and the sophisticated in "the field of lashing".

Dan_Lehman

I remember reading that many of these lashings using rawhide or gut, shrink when they dry which produces a very tight and firm lashing.
Tucked ends are held very tightly and elaborate knot work is not required.

Ha!  I was impressed by the tightness of binding knots in commercial-fishing nets and
other gear, and how I found it difficult to achieve the same, even in like gear (hollow
braid, which flattens nicely).  I happened to find a guy putting a big net together,
and took some time to observe.  And I remarked at how LOOSE his some of his
wrapping w/nylon binding cord was; but he said that it would tighten up in use,
presumably with the roughly 7-10% shrinkage of the cord!?  --interesting!

And, frankly, there seems to be a less than strict set of knots employed by fishermen;
any number of Half-hitches & wraps & Overhands turn up.

:)

myoman

Looking at some of the replies and going back and looking at some survivorman youtube videos, it indeed looks like he is using a form of whipping, even though whipping is not defined in that way (i.e. at the ends of rope to prevent flaying). Les talks about pulling on the working end to tighten the  bight it is though, which is underneath the wrapping. I wouldn't mind trying to classify this type of lashing.   
Also, what would be the best way to do this? I myself would have to say to use a contrictor knot on one end, then start wrapping, maybe doing two turns before making a bight and lying it on the previous work. Then continue to wrap over the loop, pull the working end through the bight and tighten, just like in whipping and then cut off the end.
This also seems similar to a heaving line knot, a hangman's noose, or a fishing tie for a flat hook (sp?) (one without an eye), though I can't think of what its called.
Opinions?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:15:25 AM by myoman »

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
Try using sailors whipping.

TH54

anything