Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 9849 times)

Craig Swallow

Beginner
« on: May 03, 2005, 12:12:00 AM »
hello, this is my first post, and I've just learned about the art of knots.  I'm trying to find books and sites where I can learn the more of the nonessential flourish knots.  Can someone please help me?

Thanks

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: Beginner
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 12:29:28 AM »
We are trying to get more sites together, but let me start with giving you a link for mine.  http://home.versatel.nl/willeke_igkt/
And Dan, from Alaska, http://knotical-arts.com/star1.html
He has more, but it is just a start.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »
Regards,
Brian Kidd

Jimbo_The_Kinky

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 08:34:15 PM »
Howdy!!

Well, you've come to the Right Place!!  That's an auspicious beginning!!  Now to keep on the Right Track...

The IGKT has a couple of pages for you here:
Beginners and a Knot Gallery to inspire you.

As you may know, Google has made a commitment to be the Card Catalog of the Internet.

When you're done with the ones already posted, plus these, be sure to come back & let us know if you want more!

We're all (I believe I can say this for the group) always glad to see (and help) new knotters!!

Happy kinking!!

Jim

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:16:30 PM »
Hi Craig,  If you read through some of the old posts on this site you will find many references and links, many of which address more than just the topic of the original post.  It is like a treasure hunt.  IGKT has some wonderful hard copy pamphlets, two that come instantly to mind are by the late Brian Field.  At least I hope "Concerning Crosses" and "Breastplates" are still available.  Do you have "The Ashley Book of Knots"?  It is loaded with fancy work.  Also "The Complete Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Rope Work"  by Graumont and Hensel has wonderful photographs of some very complex and pleasing work.  Of course if you post a question here or at KHWW you will get specific references (perhaps more than you need).  Do you know that IGKT has a magazine, "Knotting Matters" and that IGKT-PAB has a newsletter, "Knot News", both of which have tutorials, articles of point and discussions of interest?  KHWW has tutorials abounding for fancy work.  Welcome home!
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

Jimbo_The_Kinky

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:33:42 PM »
Howdy!!

Well, you've come to the Right Place!!  That's an auspicious beginning!!  Now to keep on the Right Track...

The IGKT has a couple of pages for you here:
Beginners and a Knot Gallery to inspire you.

As you may know, Google has made a commitment to be the Card Catalog of the Internet.

When you're done with the ones already posted, plus these, be sure to come back & let us know if you want more!

We're all (I believe I can say this for the group) always glad to see new knotters!!

Happy kinking!!

Jim
(Maybe someone can tell me how this got posted twice!?!?)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:34:41 PM by Jimbo_The_Kinky »

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:52:52 PM »
Craig,

I have found that the KHWW website and this one are the most active webisites for getting questions answered about any kind of knotting questions.  The Knotical-Arts website will lead you to Knot Chats, which is an all-day event on Sundays.  I have only been to knot chat once, but it is well attended by an international group.

One of the most basic reference books used is the "Ashley Book of Knots (ABOK).  It is the most comprehensive guide to knotting in general.  It isn't an easy book to find, and often it will be more than you expected to pay, but it is the best reference available.  

Good Luck!

Pat

Craig Swallow

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:13:31 AM »
thanks for the help, now all i need is some rope to get started with ;)

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 12:26:12 AM »
Perhaps we could help you even more if we knew where you live
Gordon