Author Topic: RE: New members  (Read 2469 times)

derekmw

RE: New members
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:00:57 PM »
Evening all,

I'm one of those considering joining ther guild. Consequentley I have been reading a host of topics.

One thing has struck me, reading the " new recruits " topic.

" What.....as a new recruit......do I have to offer  you " ?   It's a two way street, guild and member.

N.B

FAO:   Derek Smith, namesake

Response to your question: Do I knot ?

I suspect I placed my response in the wrong area, it's the last entry in the Narrow Boat Fender heading. Apologies.

Nos da

Derekmw

Dan_Lehman

Re: RE: New members
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:49:42 AM »
Ah, dmw, you are just too late:  after eons of doing apparently nothing,
it somehow recetnly occurred to the IGKT Council that they had urgent action
to take and thus they put in a new bylaw that forbids anyone of your name
from joining.
Perhaps if you try to back into membership as "Kerid", no one will notice.
Almost sincerely & sublimely yours,
...  ;D

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:26:23 AM »
Morning Derek,

You have already more than earned your membership by getting our Dan to show that he really does have a fun side under that gruff facade.

Your point is excellent and thanks for the proposal -- What can you offer?

The answer is, I believe, INPUT.  Knotters tend to be happy with their own company and a bit insular.  Consequently, we are happy to read and listen a lot, but don't think that we have anything worth giving back.  People like Willeke, Roy, Dan, Lindsey and a handful of other notables are exceptions and without them this forum (and to a large extent, the Guild) would be a barren place.

We all have experiences, problems, thoughts and discoveries.  The hard bit is to motivate ourselves to share them or perhaps to believe that others might even be remotely interested in reading them.

However !! Many a true word is spoken in jest and the effective ban on members having the name Derek is more true than Dan jokingly proposes.

Since I was branded a 'Sh1t Stirrer' by a key member (no names, no pack drill) there has been a total failure to process any paperwork (other than my cheque of course) --  it's a sort of unofficial ostracism, so if you have another first name I suggest that you use it to register with.  Of course, you do not need to be a member in order to post on this forum (yet) but you do need membership in order to stop Guild Officials from telling you to 'Neb out' from Guild business -- it's worth membership just to shut them up (and KM is worth every penny).

derekmw

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:29:30 PM »
Evenin' all

I have no problem with changing my name, to avoid confusion. How is the next question ? or can that be completed on registration as a member ?

As for comming in backwards, I prefer to back peddle.

Input wise I know how difficult it is to motivate people to take part. This type of forum is particuarly difficult, given this specific subject.

Anyway enough for now. Need to do more reading elswhere.

Regards

Derek