Author Topic: Tying an accessory rope to a biner  (Read 612 times)

mcjtom

• Exp. Member
    • Phototramp.com
Tying an accessory rope to a biner
« on: May 13, 2022, 09:14:36 AM »
When tying a static rope to a biner, as in say attaching the other end of a Blake hitch to a harness when abscending a tree, I've seen a Scaffold or an Anchor hitches used. Would it be wise to replace them with a Gnat hitch as potentially less jamming, but not as widely known for security?

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Tying an accessory rope to a biner
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »
When tying a static rope to a biner, as in say attaching the other end of a Blake hitch to a harness when abscending a tree, I've seen a Scaffold or an Anchor hitches used. Would it be wise to replace them with a Gnat hitch as potentially less jamming, but not as widely known for security?
The Scaffold Knot (also known as ABOK #409 noose) is generally regarded as fairly good in security against slack shaking, but the Gnat Hitch tends to perform even better:

https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=6076.msg40892#msg40892

Then with the Gnat Hitch's better jam resistance, it's a win-win option.

Even with knots known from antiquity, it's always good to test a knot that is new to you in the rope you will be using if the task is important.

If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 09:45:46 PM »
No.  The 'biner hitch is also supposed to stay
in place and load the major axis of the 'biner,
not slip out of place accidentally.

And consider the dual loading --did you actually TRY using
the Gnat hitch as you discribe?!

--dl*
====

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 10:41:02 PM »
No.  The 'biner hitch is also supposed to stay
in place and load the major axis of the 'biner,
not slip out of place accidentally.
Your mileage may vary, but I don't notice very much difference in the ability for the knots to maintain a certain spot on the carabiner between a Gnat Hitch and a Scaffold Knot.

Of course there are carabiners with eyelets or captive bars to force correct positioning.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:46:58 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index