Author Topic: What niche does a wrapping-type hitch fill?  (Read 2086 times)

beaulahwiza

What niche does a wrapping-type hitch fill?
« on: December 16, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »
I have a particular fascination with the category of hitches that includes the ground line, bag, snuggle, boom, etc. - I think there's something elegant and pleasing about them - but I'm not sure I can think of a practical reason I would ever prefer them to a slipped buntline or some similar hitch. They seem to use a lot of rope since they require multiple wraps around the object, and I don't get the impression from what I've read that even a boom hitch is any more secure than a slipped buntline or something similar.

I exclude from the knots I'm talking about the prusik and rolling hitch and other knots intended to resist a pull along the length of the object. I'm only referring to right-angle pull hitches that would be used in situations where a slipped buntline or gnat hitch or round turn and two half-hitches would serve. Is there a situation in which a wrapping-type hitch would be more suitable than another type? (And is there a better term to use in referring to wrapping-type hitches?)

As an aside, I think there's something delightfully funny about the spell check not recognizing "buntline" and "prusik."

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: What niche does a wrapping-type hitch fill?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
I have a particular fascination with the category of hitches that includes the ground line, bag, snuggle, boom, etc. - I think there's something elegant and pleasing about them - but I'm not sure I can think of a practical reason I would ever prefer them to a slipped buntline or some similar hitch. They seem to use a lot of rope since they require multiple wraps around the object, and I don't get the impression from what I've read that even a boom hitch is any more secure than a slipped buntline or something similar.

I exclude from the knots I'm talking about the prusik and rolling hitch and other knots intended to resist a pull along the length of the object. I'm only referring to right-angle pull hitches that would be used in situations where a slipped buntline or gnat hitch or round turn and two half-hitches would serve. Is there a situation in which a wrapping-type hitch would be more suitable than another type? (And is there a better term to use in referring to wrapping-type hitches?)

As an aside, I think there's something delightfully funny about the spell check not recognizing "buntline" and "prusik."
It's often some combination of a desire for lengthwise grip and the desire for some decorative appeal.  Additional coils can also be added to more basic hitches to get resistance to sliding.  I'm sure there are plenty of hitches out there that were not optimized for line use because that was a low priority for the presenter.

It's also possible that some hitches were just augmented until they were stable and secure enough.  Throwing rope at a problem sometimes works, even if it's not always the most efficient route.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:11:00 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 07:06:43 PM »
Hi beaulahwiza and welcome.

Right angle pull hitches with multiple wraps can be aesthetically pleasing. I like the look of them as well. Something serpentine about them.
As far a usage, it looks as though some were "invented" to deal with circumstances, cord/rope material and what the attachment surface was.
The need or desire to be able to untie the hitch could be a determining factor of which to use.
For me, the amount of rope used is not so much a concern. Near next to never have I run short that a knot choice had to changed. Most (all) times I have too much.
Security and being the least detrimental to the task is a primary decision consideration.
In some scenarios, the more wraps, the less strain on the knot's termination.

SS369

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 09:02:26 PM »
The groundline hitch --or what has same *tangle* albeit
loaded only to set & lock-- can be used to close a bag.

What I call the "reverse groundline hitch" is tied in many
commercial-fishing situations as a binder, the ends wrapping
around what is bound from one hitch to the next.

--dl*
====

mcjtom

• Phototramp.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 07:35:38 AM »
I asked a similar question some time ago as I'm infatuated with the likes of Sailor's [1688] or Swing [465/1693] hitches.  To add to reasons (or excuses) to use them instead of a gnat or 'slipped buntline' (High Point/Post [398,1809]) I figured that they may be easier on the rope for things like swings(?) and I add a stopper on the tail hoping that that would make them less likely to slip catastrophically.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:18:29 PM by mcjtom »

mcjtom

• Phototramp.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 12:18:54 PM »
Another justification for using something like Sailor's Hitch [1688] as a spar hitch is that it is probably the most 'gentle' and rope efficient construct for such use, with an integrated Munter-type wrap around the hitch that gives it some slipping as well as sideways sliding resistance as well, with relatively decent security if not shaken too much when not tensioned.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:13:07 PM by mcjtom »