Author Topic: Strap Adjuster Hitch  (Read 175 times)

reppans

Strap Adjuster Hitch
« on: November 20, 2021, 05:36:44 AM »
Edit: posting converted all my apostrophes and quotation marks into question marks?.. I went back and deleted them, so excuse the grammar issues. 

Hey guys, new here and wanted to share what I believe to be a new knot configuration that can emulate a typical strap adjuster commonly used on backpacks and LineLoc-type systems.  If this is legit/new, it seems IGKT is the best place to document it. 

For some background, Im a camper and use cordage for tent/tarp guylines, clotheslines, lashing gear to packs, bikes, etc - primarily tensioning applications.  I prefer to tie first/tension later, and try to use a single cord whenever possible.  This puts me squarely in the slide-&-grip (S&G) family of traditional adjustable hitches: tautline, midshipman, adjustable grip, and farrimond; and should also include the functionally similar Blakes, rolling, and truckers hitches.   

The problem is that traditional configs use loops in the tensioned area and this creates 2 major issues.  First is that, at best, a loop can only continuously adjust one-half its available slack, before requiring a retie.  So given 4ft available slack, to continuously tighten down to 0ft, loop structures require retie at 2ft, 1ft, etc.  The second is that the knot needs to move through the tensioned area, so runs fouls of things attached to it (clothes, prusik rigs), and things it is threaded through (pack daisy chains, tarp grommets).  In comparison, the strap adjusters single-strand config has neither issue - strap/cord can freely adjust through 4>0ft; and the knot is fixed at one anchor.

The first idea is to re-configure the lines of a S&G knot (most will work) to handle single-strand adjustment.  Blakes is the strongest, as the only legit ascending knot on par with the Prusik, but HEREs the midshipman/rolling as another example.  The loops are now all slack; the tensioned areas are now all single-strand; and the S&G knot is the same.  For many applications, you could stop right here.

The second idea is an optional pulley for leverage, like a strap adjuster.  An alpine butterfly between the anchor and the Blakes works great.  Keep ~1in between the knots for untying slack, but the pulley loop should just touch the Blakes when tensioned - it pushes the Blake forward as it is tensioned.  Side benefit - this also facilitates one-handed tightening/loosening, like a strap adjuster.  The figure8 stopper (often recommended for ascending safety) is optional here but is advised for permanent applications (eg, tent guylines) - to lock the spacing between butterfly and Blake?s.

Since this is best tied at the standing end (can position anywhere, but standing offers greatest range of adjustment), a long cord can be tedious to re-thread for short-term applications.  So other ST options include learning to tie the knots backwards at the standing end, or use S&G hitches that can be tied on a bight, ie slipped rolling, and farrimond.

FWIW, single-strand tensioning in 2-dimensional space (L+W) amounts to a zip-tie, and most of the above S&G hitches become exactly that when tied backwards. I know the zip-tie knot is not a new idea, but I am surprised how infrequently its mentioned, even among knot enthusiast, except perhaps for the weak(?) Canadian Jam version.  My most my often used knot/cord application (period) happens to be the rolling hitch zip-tie, including unusual configs and applications. 

Please let me know your thoughts, and happy to answer questions.  Hope that helps some folks. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 05:44:46 AM by reppans »

reppans

Re: Strap Adjuster Hitch
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 02:52:18 AM »
FWIW, added annotations:

KC

Re: Strap Adjuster Hitch
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
Some nice applications can come from this pivotal utility.
Friction Hitch component can vary to taste.
To me the B'Fly is a 'knot tender' /grooming comb component/utility here for Friction Hitch, in some fashions can be well placed pulley, carabinier etc.  Used a padlock once in a sizable in place loaded setup before.  Larger scale of same utility in loop or single leg.
Free play slop and closeness of tender/comb to hitch a factor on how much relief after overtightened is returned.  For most tightness, need least play on release after setting of tender /comb distance , angle and length.  Lanyard another usage.  Tender/comb utility does not have to be full system strength, can be toy key chain carabinier many times, or smaller line.
Interesting usage of terminal eye to finger pull to align rigid against tender to comb hitch.  Usually for this type of utility I'd go to other side of Friction Hitch.  In adjustable shackle loop type build Girth to low anchor and connive tender/comb utility from it OR even BFly in other leg of Girth serving it's eye to primary leg Friction Hitch rides.  Can even 2/1 (-friction) climb with this progress capture/zip tie loop type build.  Then is best to use small carabinier or pulley to tend/dress/groom/comb hitch, then remove carabinier/pulley to descend.  Need 2x as much unused rope as drop in the 2/1 setup, friction reduces efficiency but not distance traded!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 04:25:23 PM by KC »
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt.~