Author Topic: Can anybody identify this bend for me?  (Read 472 times)

TS

Can anybody identify this bend for me?
« on: September 16, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
I found this bend being demonstrated in a YouTube video, but the video was in an Asiatic language that I don't speak or read.

I have never seen this bend in ABOK, or anyplace else, yet it seems SO familiar, (possibly related to a HARNESS BEND?)!

I have learned to tie it, and it seems like a REALLY good bend... I'd just like to learn its NAME!   :)

I captured four images from the video, which I have attached.

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS KNOT?

tsik_lestat

Re: Can anybody identify this bend for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 01:17:04 PM »
Hello TS, many thanks for this interesting bend structure contribution.

I am not sure about its name, perhaps some other bend experts would be willing to pronounce on that matter.

What i do know, because i myself have tied it independently, is the reverse version of your bend if you load it from the tails side.

At that time, i was not sure if it was a pre-existing structure, but after a little searching i found that it was Abok#1451.

Many other knot tyers have come across to it, before me, like Xarax and Siriuso (i can't recall under what name Siriuso is demonstrating it, but i'm definitely sure i have seen it in his files. Most likely, your variation might be located there too, `see link 2`).

Link 1 : https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4013.0 (Xarax)

Link 2 : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/118JW083wRZ52FlhlAjF-lUvAdCpiE9fB?usp=sharing (Siriuso)

As Ashley points out, it is as secure as carrick and easy to untie, but not so strong(the reverse version).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 01:18:07 PM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »
I found this ...

I have never seen this [ends joint] in ABOK, or anyplace else, yet it seems SO familiar,

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS KNOT?
It has some familiar-looking parts, I suppose
(kinda like a sheet bend at its closures).

For me, it goes way back to 1980s,
with my design goal to rely on SPart twisting,
and then to somehow stabilize that w/easy untying;
and it surfaced --with a similar partner--
in the IGKT's Knotting Matters newsletter
IIRC around issue #43 (which would be then
in 1980s or '90s), courtesy of (IIRC) Jack
Reiman?  --working from memory, here.

As for ...
As Ashley points out, it is as secure as carrick and easy to untie,
but not so strong(the reverse version).
I've not seen the testing that Ashley implies exists
to support the "strong" claim.  I do see in Cyrus Day's
1st book, Sailors' Knots, that HIS testing showed the
carrick bend to be as weak or weaker than the sheet
bend
& square/reef knot, with preference for the
SAME-SIDE (not catercorner) version,
unless one shoved a pipe through the center (!! --who
would do this?!).  Meanwhile, there is usually rumor of
a seized, open-lattice-form version being wonderful,
but I've never seen any hint of testing for this!
Such is knotting.

--dl*
====

TS

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 07:43:05 PM »
Thanks to both tsik_lestat and Dan_Lehman, for your gracious responses.  I was afraid that somebody was going to say, "Are you an IDIOT?  EVERYBODY knows that knot!"  I'm still learning the ABOK knots, bends, hitches, lanyards, etc,  (I'm up to about 116), but I sometimes feel intimidated by the sheer expertise of the people who post here, (and the occasional rude responses of certain members).

I never had ANY interest in knots till I saw a "knot box" on somebody's wall, and realized that there was a whole new world of study to pursue!  I find that learning new knots is a lot like collecting rare coins, or maybe butterflies --  it starts out as a hobby, and becomes an obsession!

But it's a NICE obsession, I find, and is frankly very useful, too!  I can tie a stack of cardboard, or a pile of newspapers to be recycled, tighter than ANYBODY in Somerset. NJ, using only a single length of 10 lb. cordage!  (I use a "grapple hitch", which lets me pull it tight, then I lock it with an overhand knot)

Anyway, I've added two additional pics to this bend -  one of the COMPLETED knot, when set, and the other of the REAR view of this knot.  The rear view is what make me think that this bend might be related to the HARNESS bend.

I have only posted on the IGKT forum a few times, but so far it has been a pleasant experience.  I also encourage other people to take up knot tying, whenever the opportunity arises.

Thanks for giving an old man like me, (aged 70), something new to do!  It keeps me young!

siriuso

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 06:32:29 PM »
Hi

This bend is the same as Rusty's Bend as far as I know.

yChan

TS

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
-  This bend is the same as Rusty's Bend as far as I know.

Thanks siriuso.  I'd never heard of Rusty's Bend.  Frankly, though, I can't find it ANYPLACE online, or even in this forum!  Can you point me to a source that mentions this bend?  THANKS!

TS

siriuso

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 08:30:15 PM »
Hi

I want to send the link to this post, but I do not know how to do it. May someone be kind enough to tell me how to operate. Thanks.

yChan

SS369

• Global Moderator

siriuso

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 05:04:07 AM »
Hi

Thanks to SS369. That is the post.

yChan

TS

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 09:55:55 PM »
WOW! 

That post by Rusty427 is exactly the knot!  Thanks SS369 for posting the link!

Yes, it DOES seem related to the harness bend, AND to the surgeon's knot, and several others, too!

I think it's a great knot:  it's easy to tie, is totally secure, and is always easy to untie, (under any load that I've ever placed it under).

Plus, I'll bet that, if tested, it would rank as a 75+% knot, in terms of rope strength.  Just my opinion.

May I be so bold as to propose that this particular "complication" be, from now on, referred to as "Rusty's Bend"?

He seems to be the person who offered it to the forum, and NOBODY has proposed any pre-existing name, nor even an ABOK number!

Rusty427 may be a "newbie", like me, but I think he's described a hitherto NAMELESS knot, here, that NEEDS a good name!  "Rusty's Bend" seems quite catchy, (at least, to my ear), and this might encourage others to bother to learn this very good bend.

Anyway, if I had a vote, I'd vote for calling this knot "Rusty's Bend"

Boy, this is a fun website!

siriuso

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 05:31:12 PM »
Hi TS

Last month I found my "New Bend" named Sennito Bend is the same as Rusty's Bend by appearance. You may noticed that I have tied it with other different tying methods, so I missed they are the same appearance. I will revise it to the "Known bends" folder with more tying methods and delete from the "My New Bends" folder in the coming notes.

Happy Knotting
yChan

siriuso

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
Hi dear all,

Rusty427 has had shown two finished configurations of Rusty?s Bend. One configuration in ?Sennit-like? the other in ?Crown-like?. The tying method he presented comes to ?Sennit-like? configuration. For getting the other configuration, just by pulling apart the WEs, the whole nub gets loosened. Then pulling apart the SPs and tightens the nub, it comes to the ?Crown-like? configuration.

Recently I have found Crown Bend presented by Owen K. Nuttall in KM 51 (1995), is the same ?Crown-like? configurataion as Rusty?s Bend. Nuttall shew only one configuration. Upon my finding, Rusty427 in 2011 claimed to discover this bend is invalid . This bend was recorded and discovered by Owen K. Nuttall in 1995.

I will include all the tying methods to this Crown Bend in both configurations.

Happy Knotting
yChan