Author Topic: Help ABoK #586 / Skryagin #137  (Read 1796 times)

Ramos

Help ABoK #586 / Skryagin #137
« on: September 03, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »

Hello, it seems like I can't tie this knot properly. I wonder what's the trick for this knot.
Many thanks

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
Re: Help ABoK #586 / Skryagin #137
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
Definitely a tricky one.  I had to tie it about 5 times.  First, obviously, be sure of your over and unders.  The top loop in particular I kept seeing as inverted.  Second, and most important, don't just let got when trying to tighten.  It totally will not just fall into the correct structure.  It fights you and will collapse with the least provocation.  In the ABoK illustration, there are 2 ears to either side.  These are your top and bottom loops during construction.  Hold them as your landmarks.  Notice that without these loops you have a cross knot, so after you have finished interlacing, hold those ears and pull on the ends until you have a cross knot in the middle.  Then, very carefully so that you never lose the structure in the middle, take out the slack.  Good luck!

PS. Skryagin is very interesting.  Never heard/seen it before.  Thanks, Internet Archive!   ;D

PPS. I'm thinking that you should be able to modify a more stable cross knot into this eared version, but I've got to head out for the day.  I'll try when I come home this evening.

PPPS.  I'll see what I can do about translating this when I come home.   :o
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:48:05 PM by KnotMe »

KnotMe

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 07:27:56 AM »
I don't know if it's easier for everyone or just me, but you can tie 586/137 by first tying a cross knot.  This has the advantage of simply pulling on the 4 ends to get a good square shape.  With the square side facing you, carefully holding the knot by the middle, extract one loose end out of its enfolding loop, then follow where it was with the other loose end up the front, then back down behind to and through the loop to restabilize the structure (it is helpful to have a bodkin or lacing needle so that you don't have to expand the loop to get your cord end through).  Keep the square tight while you remove slack to your desired state.

I could find no explicit instructions for the inline single strand tassel knot shown here (the last knot on the bottom) which is clearly the same knot as you were trying to tie but with bigger ears.   :)

Just for completeness, here are instruction for how to tie the tassel knot.  Similar to 586/137 but lanyard style and double everything.

Ramos

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 03:02:58 PM »

Thank you very much, I think I get it! The key for me was the two ears tip.
Glad you liked Skryagin.

KnotMe

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 04:58:13 AM »
You're very welcome.  Glad to be of assistance.   :D