Author Topic: Smoothing overhand's jamming function  (Read 294 times)

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
Smoothing overhand's jamming function
« on: March 20, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »
This is an approach, within the frameworks of overhand's vice/virtue concept, where the normal overhand's topology, breaks down into two components, a crossing knot and a nipping turn (first image).

The nipping turn (loop), can be handled, as if it was a nipping loop of an Eskimo bowline, while its tail, is tucked under the Spart and back through the collar to avoid slippage and enhance stability and security.

This two collar, overhand based, pseudo Eskimo non-pet configuration (second, third image), features three access points to interface with its nub, during decompression, two collars and a nipping turn, which can't block for two reasons....

1. It is not directly connected with SP, as in conventional nipping loops, which means less nipping action.

2. 50 % of its on-going eye leg continuation loading, is not alleged to induce irreversible locking, while being under constriction at the same time, by Sp's perpendicular loading.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:31:27 PM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

enhaut

• Exp. Member
Re: Smoothing overhand's jamming function
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 07:23:16 PM »
The principal virtue of this overhand based nipping loop is, in the form you presented, a non-jamming stubbornness. Which is a surprising quality, don't you think?

Of course I don?t have machinery at hand for testing adequately but I would be very curious of its jamming profile.

The whole concept is rich and declinable in other structures. In my view it belongs to the marlinspike structure family.
But one can change opinion if correctly shown.

You tied it with the tail exiting inside the eye?.
I tried the contrary (outside exit) since it is easily feasible, dit you tried it, if so does this affect the structure?
For my part I thought that the outside solution made a more compact form, maybe I am wrong.

This knot could replace or  be used instead of the traditional anchor knot.

jr.

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
Re: Smoothing overhand's jamming function
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »
Hello Enhaut, i think it is a great quality, provided that you have to perform some easy transformation to the basic overhand structure, in order to bring it in the form presented previously, or in the form illustrated at this reply (first image).

My poor tests indicate that the jamming profile is fairly good, but more work needs to be done in that sector.

One might wonder if the security profile is adequate, with just a crossing knot collar component, having no additional tail maneuvers. I'd answer, that it is this very nipping component that ensures the appropriate safety and security levels of this knot.

Another, of the same technique topology, is listed below. The nipping turn (loop), is linked directly with SP now, which means more nipping action that may enhance security on one hand, but may trigger nipping loop's janmming on the other. However, the two collars are always there to de-stress the nub from all accumulated tension, plus the resulting final product is TIB and EEL (second third image).

Note, that i have used your proposed solution of forming the pseudo bowline collar this time, which i think does not affect the overall functionality.

Using it as an anchor knot sounds good, even if it requires a bit of extra rope, but as a reward, its nub can be loosened rather easily.
Going knots