Author Topic: JRB Hitch, a secure, quick release hitch  (Read 18106 times)

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: JRB Hitch, a secure, quick release hitch
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 06:47:02 PM »
It is interesting and a little unorthodox, but it seems like it does what you need it to do.  I don't recall seeing it before. 
JRB, I was experimenting with variants that would allow a more direct pull of the slip bight and realized there is a relative that you may be interested in.  Andy753421 eventually updated his original post to show tying instructions here:

https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1621.msg11100#msg11100

It pulls bights around alternating sides of the standing part in a chain stitch manner.  The standard three final tucks would probably suffice for many applications, but an extra bight tuck may help in certain circumstances.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:49:37 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

JRB

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 07:13:44 AM »
Roo, thanks for your time and research and experimentation.  When you say "allows a more direct pull", are you looking for it to be smoother releasing under load? Less "clicking" in the stages? Or less or more jamming under load? As tied in the original video, i would describe the JRB hitch as having medium level of jamming under load. I selfishly would have preferred it has more jamming under load for my preferred applications, but understand there's other applications which would want the opposite. Just trying to understand where you're headed. Thanks.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 04:54:12 PM »
Roo, thanks for your time and research and experimentation.  When you say "allows a more direct pull", are you looking for it to be smoother releasing under load?
I just noticed that the release line was a bit embedded into the knot and was looking to see what would happen if the hitch was a bit snug after use and the release line was more exposed.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

JRB

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 08:08:41 AM »

I'd like to see a test where the release is triggered - while 100kg load is applied to the SPart. That is, while the JRB hitch is under 100kg load, initiate the first stage of the release sequence - to see how fault tolerate the JRB hitch is. A video would be good...

Agent Smith, I am preparing to execute this test this weekend with a video recording. I just did a few in preparation and got the idea that I should measure how much force i need on the release line in order to release through each if the stages, using my scale. Let me know if you disagree.  Assuming i repeat the test a few times, the camera
Could get the scale as well as the hitch as it's released.

JRB

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 07:06:09 AM »
[ ] Test 'fault tolerance' - while 100kg mass is held, initiate first release sequence.
If the hitch maintains integrity up to the first stage of the release sequence, this is good.
[ ] repeat your tests with at least 3 different rope types.
-record the exact rope type you used for your testing (so others can purchase those rope types and attempt to repeat your results). Supply all rope info (eg diameter, EN/ANSI standard, brand/model, etc).
[ ] You will need to consider statistically valid sample - normally at least 5 tests is considered adequate
Agent Smith and Team, I just completed the following video, exploring the properties of the release mechanism under a load of 100kg.  I will work on the other suggested tests next.

https://youtu.be/82b8AMMctyQ
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 03:52:16 PM by JRB »

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 11:14:15 PM »
Good video JRB, Thank you.

I tied it using a BlueWater ProTac 10.5 static rope between two trees and bounce tested with me in the middle. Held well and released well.
As with any releasable anchor set up, getting the release line away from accidental tugging is still an item to be careful with. But, I believe there is enough built in resistance to avoid that, especially with the release bight long and possibly with the bight wound into the encircling parts. Which I have not tried as of yet.
I?d have no qualms employing this on my next climbing session.

A set of tying sequence photos would be helpful to some.

Again, thank you for sharing your work.

SS

agent_smith

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for making the time and effort to produce your video - I appreciate that it represents a significant investment of effort - and its often a thankless task.

Okay - we need to focus on some crucial aspects - which are missing from your tests.

Can you please give due attention to the following:

1. After initiating the first stage of the release sequence, you need to pause. It is at this crucial stage where you need to test the security of the hitch.
After triggering the first stage of the release sequence - apply load the remaining hitch structure as follows:
  [ ] cyclic loading
  [ ] slack shaking
  [ ] impact loading - send a sudden shock wave 'pulse' down the line
The intent is determine how well the remaining hitch structure withstands further loading - which will indicate how 'fault tolerate' your hitch is.

2. Load test to its MBS yield point (ie pull-it-till-it breaks) - with the rope terminated at both ends using the same identical JRB hitch.
Each JRB hitch (at both ends) must be identically tied and dressed (as best you can).
One JRB hitch will yield first - leaving you with a 'survivor' specimen to examine.
Its the surviving JRB hitch that is of interest.
  [ ] has it jammed?
  [ ] has any damage occurred to the rope material?
  [ ] has it deformed or suffered any structural anomaly?

3. When you initial the release sequence, don't pull at 90 degrees to the SPart. You should be triggering the release sequence along the same axial direction as the SPart.
In your videos, you appear to initiate the release sequence perpendicular to the SPart. If you think about it, this wouldn't be possible in a deliberate (or accidental) retrieval process...

Please pay close attention to detail - ensuring you address each of my points.

JRB

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 12:20:44 AM »

1. After initiating the first stage of the release sequence, you need to pause. It is at this crucial stage where you need to test the security of the hitch.
After triggering the first stage of the release sequence - apply load the remaining hitch structure as follows:
  [ ] cyclic loading
  [ ] slack shaking
The intent is determine how well the remaining hitch structure withstands further loading - which will indicate how 'fault tolerate' your hitch is.

2. Load test to its MBS yield point (ie pull-it-till-it breaks) - with the rope terminated at both ends using the same identical JRB hitch.
Each JRB hitch (at both ends) must be identically tied and dressed (as best you can).
One JRB hitch will yield first - leaving you with a 'survivor' specimen to examine.
Its the surviving JRB hitch that is of interest.
  [ ] has it jammed?
  [ ] has any damage occurred to the rope material?
  [ ] has it deformed or suffered any structural anomaly?

3. When you initial the release sequence, don't pull at 90 degrees to the SPart. You should be triggering the release sequence along the same axial direction as the SPart.
In your videos, you appear to initiate the release sequence perpendicular to the SPart. If you think about it, this wouldn't be possible in a deliberate (or accidental) retrieval process...

Agent Smith, I very much appreciate your detailed description.  Just to increase the chances that I get this right, please advise:

1. Because the hitch does hold in both a lengthwise pull and in a perpendicular pull, the test you described could be done either between: 1) using a single (fallen) tree trunk, creating lengthwise pull as I performed in prior videos or 2) between the bases of two standing trees.  Do you have a preference for which?

2. Is it acceptable that I do the test with a cordage that is in the 5mm range rather than a climbing line which is double that diameter and much stronger? Because I would need to get much more creative with my rigging if i need to break an 8mm cord instead of a 5mm.

3. When you say "the first stage in the release sequence", I assume you mean after the "drawloop" has pulled through the first munter/loop in the hitch itself.  Because as you are aware from your diagram, there are 3 stages to the structure of the hitch, but when I am actually executing the release, it feels like only 2. And so I am inferring you want me to determine how secure the hitch is in an intermediate state, partially compromised, even if such a state would be difficult to achieve in a real field situation.

4. I don't know the best hitch with which to attach my pulling rig in the center. Follow this logic: JRB hitch is quite strong, stronger than the scaffold knot used in a prior test. I don't have the hardware I would need to rig up a frictionless hitch, actually 2 of them, on either side of my winch in the center... and so what would you recommend as the STRONGEST means to attach the test line to my winch in the center, which terminates with a carabiner has a small bend radius?  A Palomar?  All I can think of is to tie another JRB hitch, perhaps the 3 turn variant onto the carabiners.   I don't know which will fail first: one of the JRB hitches on the tree or one on the beaners, but would guess the latter.  What is the strongest hitch for attaching a carabiner?  The 'hitch to beat' in terms of strength? 

thanks in advance.  I am not certain I will get to it this weekend as the ground is snow covered and more expected.  But looking forward to it!

agent_smith

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 03:28:27 AM »
Quick reply...

1. Because the hitch does hold in both a lengthwise pull and in a perpendicular pull, the test you described could be done either between: 1) using a single (fallen) tree trunk, creating lengthwise pull as I performed in prior videos or 2) between the bases of two standing trees.  Do you have a preference for which?

I don't believe it would make any significant different in terms of what we are trying to determine.
That is, the idea is to load the 2 hitches till MBS yield point is reached.
One knot will fail first - and you will have a 'survivor' specimen to examine.
The 'survivor' will have been maximally loaded - and if it can be easily untied, you can pop the champagne cork (assuming no obvious damage caused by heat build up).
When untying the 'surviving' hitch - take note of which rope segments have sustained evidence of stress/crushing. Try to pinpoint where (location) within the hitch where these stress concentrations occur. This is valuable information.

2. Is it acceptable that I do the test with a cordage that is in the 5mm range rather than a climbing line which is double that diameter and much stronger? Because I would need to get much more creative with my rigging if i need to break an 8mm cord instead of a 5mm.
It is always preferable to test with the same type of rope material/diameter that would be used in the field.
This means that you need robust test equipment - with ability to achieve peak load of around 3 metric tons (3000kg).
Using lesser diameter material would serve as a pathfinder - but you need to go full scale to be 100% certain of your results.

3. When you say "the first stage in the release sequence", I assume you mean after the "drawloop" has pulled through the first munter/loop in the hitch itself.
Yes.
Because as you are aware from your diagram, there are 3 stages to the structure of the hitch, but when I am actually executing the release, it feels like only 2.
Correct, only 2 stages.
What we are trying to investigate is whether your hitch is survivable after having triggered the first step of the release sequence (ie how fault tolerate your hitch is).
Triggering the second stage of the release sequence means death or serious injury (if you manage to survive the free-fall).

And so I am inferring you want me to determine how secure the hitch is in an intermediate state, partially compromised, even if such a state would be difficult to achieve in a real field situation.
Correct.
I am hoping that you can see that the default 'pull-it-till-it-breaks' mindset is a dead-end path that doesn't provide meaningful information.
For many knot testers, this is the only way they can conceptualize knots. There are some promising signs that one or two knot testers are starting to expand their mind - and look at other factors (but once a leopard has spots, its hard to change those spots).
However, you can use the 'pull-it-till-it-breaks' mindset in a contest between 2 identically tied knots/hitches - where one will always yield first - leaving a 'survivor' to closely examine. Carefully untie the surviving hitch - and examine which segments of rope have been crushed or heat glazed. Mark these segments (with permanent marker pen) and re-tie the hitch, noting where these segment are located.

and so what would you recommend as the STRONGEST means to attach the test line to my winch in the center, which terminates with a carabiner has a small bend radius?  A Palomar?  All I can think of is to tie another JRB hitch, perhaps the 3 turn variant onto the carabiners.   I don't know which will fail first: one of the JRB hitches on the tree or one on the beaners, but would guess the latter.  What is the strongest hitch for attaching a carabiner?  The 'hitch to beat' in terms of strength? 

One of the key concepts with all types of testing is to engineer out any experimental bias.
Eye knots are easier to test (obviously) - but, your creation isn't an eye knot.
Have a look at the attached image (extract from EN892).
Note how the rope is terminated.
I suggest that you try to adopt a similar method of terminating (but more turns to create a 'capstan effect').
A large size shackle with 30mm diameter pin would be okay...

Edit note:
The image is fair use under copyright laws - it is just one small extract.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:01:27 AM by agent_smith »

JRB

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 08:13:51 PM »
After initiating the first stage of the release sequence, you need to pause. It is at this crucial stage where you need to test the security of the hitch.
  [ ] cyclic loading
  [ ] slack shaking

Agent Smith, The attached video link demonstrates a concatenation of three successive videos of the same test.  I am not sure that it meets what you were looking for, but I hope it is of interest and has some value.  When playing it back, I see that the lighting was not ideal.  Unfortunately, I had no camera operator, and this was the only window of daylight and weather I had this weekend.

Here are my observations: In earlier tests, when I was releasing a 100kg load, tied on a smaller diameter 30mm bar, when releasing under load, it WAS possible to pause when the release line had slipped through the first munter, but only by visible observation; I could not feel any change in resistance after the first stage had been passed.  Some differences here are that I am loading using my own body weight in a realistic climbing situation, and pulling in the direction of the load, and so I was releasing under little or no load:  A portion of the load (by body weight) had to be diverted to the release line, and as the was ready to release, my feet were on the ground, ready for the release and ensuring my safetly, and so there was little load on the line. In this configuration, you can see the results: with the described load profile and with the different tension geometry of a large diameter tree trunk compared to a 30mm bar, the hitch lost its integrity and could be released after the bight passes the first stage. 

https://youtu.be/vB9G48DD1Ho

JRB

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 07:26:45 AM »

That is, the idea is to load the 2 hitches till MBS yield point is reached.
One knot will fail first - and you will have a 'survivor' specimen to examine.
The 'survivor' will have been maximally loaded - and if it can be easily untied, you can pop the champagne cork (assuming no obvious damage caused by heat build up).
When untying the 'surviving' hitch - take note of which rope segments have sustained evidence of stress/crushing. Try to pinpoint where (location) within the hitch where these stress concentrations occur. This is valuable information.
This means that you need robust test equipment - with ability to achieve peak load of around 3 metric tons (3000kg).
Using lesser diameter material would serve as a pathfinder - but you need to go full scale to be 100% certain of your results.

Agent Smith, I did attempt a break test this weekend, just a 7mm cord for starters, with 10.7 kN breaking strength.  In preparation, I borrowed some heavy duty hardware in an attempt to make a crude version of a pair of tensionless hitches (similar to what you referenced).  Unfortunately for the test, the break occurred in my crude tensionless hitch, and the JRB hitch held.  And so, I did not bother to produce a video for the test, but I did upload the ending which was the the only part with new information: My pulling device was a pickup truck in a 2:1 system, and so after breaking a 10.7 kN cord, I am guessing I had approximately 5kN on the towing hitch on the back of the truck. I had not previously loaded anything that small or that heavily, and so I was pleased at how easily I could release it. 
https://youtu.be/WIPyPqpTkZ0

And so, regarding the quoted test you prescribed, I am going to send this out to a lab.  After this attempt at much lower forces, I don't feel it would be smart for me to attempt these kinds of tests given my lack of proper test equipment, protective equipment or training.  I will be paying for this and so I was planning on proceeding this way; see steps below. I hope you don't mind that I added steps 4 and 5.  My rationale is simple: getting access to a rig exerting these kinds of forces will not be a frequent affair and so I would like to know how the hitch releases under HEAVY loads. 

1. Based on their inventory, I will select a climbing rope in the 3000kg range that you described, which is probably a 10.5mm climbing rope, perhaps 28-30kN break strength.
2. Tie two identical JRB hitches to a pair of 4inch bollards on either sider of the pulling apparatus.
3. Pull until HALF of the MBS of the rope is achieved.
4. Release the load and test the ability to release the rope by pulling the drawline, specifically by pulling it in the same direction as the load.  Is it jammed, or can a firm tug on the release line spill the hitch?
5. Re-tie that end of the system, and resume the pull test until failure.
6. After failure, as per your instructions above, first examine the end that failed. 
7. Next and most importantly, carefully examine the end which survived, looking for damage, deformation, marking any visible spots with a marker.  Attempt to release the line with the drawline, to determine how badly it has jammed.  Carefully release the line and examine the damage with the rope in hand. 

How is that? Any suggested changes? 
thank you

JRB

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 04:53:35 AM »
Team,
I have uploaded another test of the JRB Hitch.  In this video, a full 3+ minutes of cyclic loading and slack testing and whipping was performed in a random sequence, demonstrating the integrity of the hitch.  After that, there are three iterations of a self release under self load.  I was unable to perform that in prior videos, simply because I was not safely prepared for the fall with a backup system.  In all cases, under self load, I needed to put a significant amount of my weight on the release line in order to release it.  It was not possible for me to smoothly to pull it to release with just one hand, and needed to engage the strength of both hands/arms with wraps around my hand.

Also, I have contacted a company about performing the pull-to-failure test described above.  Will reply when information is available. 
thank you for your ongoing support, review, guidance, and commentary.
https://youtu.be/CukmqIyrl60

JRB

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2021, 05:15:22 AM »

Correct, only 2 stages.
What we are trying to investigate is whether your hitch is survivable after having triggered the first step of the release sequence (ie how fault tolerate your hitch is).

Agent Smith,
There has been a development.  Let me explain:  When I created the hitch, there are a couple of things which were somewhat randomly decided:
1. The left/right orientation.  Quite obviously, I could have tied the mirror image of this hitch and its properties would be quite the same.  Why this way?  I am right handed and it just seemed easier to tie this way.
2. The up/down orientation.  It takes load well in all directions but why did I choose to put the load line as the top strand going around the object?  Frankly, I just guessed that it would be more stable that way and never gave it a second thought.  Until today....

I have been carefully testing this hitch by tree climbing with it.  I will spare you the details of the climbing method, but it entails standing at the base of a tree, reaching up as high as you can, tying a JRB hitch, climbing to it, and repeating the process.  When the desired height is achieved, rappel off the load line, and when safely on the ground, pull the release line to release the hitch.  Suffice it to say that when tying the knot over your head, with arms extended as far as you can reach, it's quite annoying if the bottom strand drops out of position, as it has less tension given that I am working with the end of it.  And that led me to experiment with tying it in with the load line on the bottom as it passes around the tree trunk.  It took a little bit to get used to tying it that way, but it seems to hold in place better, and so I was pleased at the discovery.  But the big discovery was how it released.  I only had time to test this a couple of times (with no camera rolling) but here is what happened:
When I released the 'upside down' JRB hitch with no load, it released as always.  But when I released it with my body still on it, it clearly had two distinct stages to it.  After the first stage had passed, I could clearly FEEL that stage passing and from there it HELD.  The forces binding it in this orientation were different and I was not able to get it to spill until I unloaded it and released it. It held firmly after one stage. 

Until your comments earlier in this thread, I was not aware of the importance of these fault tolerance characteristics. But it makes me want to REPEAT the test I posted in my last reply, but with the hitch tied in the opposite up/down orientation.  Is this something that you would agree is meaningful? Any other comments on WHAT I did in that video?  Is the nature of the test what you expected?   3 minutes of cyclic loading and slack testing, etc, and then release under load? 

thank you,
jrb

agent_smith

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 12:12:07 AM »
Thanks for your question JRB...

Will try to answer as best I can...
1. The left/right orientation.  Quite obviously, I could have tied the mirror image of this hitch and its properties would be quite the same.  Why this way?  I am right handed and it just seemed easier to tie this way.
All knots have a mirror version - and this isn't something that is acknowledged or even published by most knot book authors or content writers. For example, in a typical knot book, all of the various knot species that are illustrated with be showcased in one orientation. Obviously this saves space - since the author would have double the content (ie 2 images of each knot). At the very least, authors and content writers should have at least one page in their book explaining chirality and mirror forms of knots - so readers are made aware of the concept.

If you look at the 'Ashley Book of Knots' - and in particular all of the illustrated 'Bowlines' - you will notice that they all have right-handed (Z) chirality. For example, the simple Bowline illustrated at #1010 has 'Z' chirality. Ashley does not illustrate or even mention that it is equally valid to tie the same knot with 'S' chirality.
What does this mean? It is likely that Ashley was right-hand dominant (ie a right hander). Also, maybe Ashley did not have a well developed concept of chirality?

EDIT NOTE:
In your present case, the following are worth investigating:
1. When forming the initial '180 degree U turn' around the host object (eg a tree limb) - you have a choice of 2 different 'directions'. Depending on your reference frame, this could be conceptualized as 'clockwise' direction or 'anti-clockwise' direction.
2. When forming a 'U turn', the continuing leg will lie on one side of the SPart - you could experiment with the continuing leg formed on both sides of the SPart.

If all this is getting difficult to follow - tie your JRB hitch and then hold it adjacent to a plane mirror - note the appearance in the mirror.

2. The up/down orientation.  It takes load well in all directions but why did I choose to put the load line as the top strand going around the object?  Frankly, I just guessed that it would be more stable that way and never gave it a second thought.  Until today....
The notional concept of 'up' and 'down' can be problematic and awkward to define. For example, some knot book authors have attempted to explain the tying process using words such as 'up', 'down', 'left' and 'right'. Unfortunately, these descriptors usually only have meaning to the author.
Think of space (eg an astronaut in space) - is there an 'up' or a 'down'?
If terms such as 'up' and 'down' are used - a reference frame must be carefully defined.

In your case, you are forming turns around the host object.
On one side you have a 'standing part' (SPart) and the opposite rope segment is the 'tail' (ie release line).
Load enters your hitch via the 'SPart'.

The forces binding it in this orientation were different and I was not able to get it to spill until I unloaded it and released it. It held firmly after one stage. 
Okay - this is very important information.
Yes - you need to re-run your tests with a 'control'.
I am going to assume that you know what a 'control' is in all testing using the 'scientific method'?
The position of the first 'U turn' of the SPart around the host appears to be a key factor in boosting the fault tolerance of the JRB hitch.
Now we just need the experimental results to prove it.
You will need to define 'down' and 'up' carefully - perhaps within the reference frame of a tree - designating the ground as 'down' and the tree canopy as 'up'.

I also urge you to test the release sequence with 100kg load on the 'SPart' and then compare with zero load on the SPart.
Your previous video was very dark - and I had difficulty discerning the fine details.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:57:07 AM by agent_smith »

rickan

• Richard M. Kandarian
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 02:03:24 AM »
Would this serve?

The loaded rope has the tautline hitch in it, but I think you could load both of them at the same time.

It's very nice and easy to tie. You don't need either end since the hitch is made of loops. And you could as well put another turn in the top part of the hitch.