Author Topic: Twisted nipping adjustable loop  (Read 2902 times)

jarnos

• personal homepage
Twisted nipping adjustable loop
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:50:03 PM »
I saw Pretzel loop in another thread and it inspired me experimenting. See the image. This seems to resist collapsing surprisingly well and the knot is easy to untie. One variant is to insert the slipped loop from the standing part's side (which is what I tried first).
Jarno Suni

jarnos

• personal homepage
Re: Twisted nipping adjustable loop
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
Pulling from the left loop helps to untie the knot under load.
Jarno Suni

Kost_Greg

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 01:12:35 AM »
Hello Jarnos

Nice try to push a bight through a slingstone binder (Abok#272), but i see that the nub components, repel each other if loaded in this configuration.

Inserting the bight from the other side of the nip, (from the standing part's side as you mention previously), you will get a more cohere knot body with the two links, fused together to retain slipped loop's L shape, as it enters the nub, perperdicular to the axis of loading.
Going knots

jarnos

• personal homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 02:08:45 AM »
Hello tsik_lestat,

That part is not #272, but a kind of double twisted variant.

The reverse version of this knot is pretty stable once adjusted properly, but may be harder to untie in my experience. They both are pretty strong according to my testing, but someone who has proper equipment could test the knots better.
Jarno Suni

jarnos

• personal homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 10:24:27 AM »
Here are some images of the reverse version. If you adjust the nipping loops further away from each other, the knot does not work that well in my experience.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 12:48:56 PM by jarnos »
Jarno Suni

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »
Hi Jarnos.
I explored this structure in 2014 with some success I think in two threads related to the Cat's paw and the Gripping Cat.This nipping structure shows some efficiencies in certain scenarios.You should have I look here;

The gripping cat; https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4870.msg31744#msg31744

jarnos

• personal homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »
Hi Enhaut,

I think my knot could be called Tail-Gripping Cat, then. :) It shares some idea and applications with Captain Mullins' hitch (ABOK#160&161) but is stronger in my experience.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 01:45:56 AM by jarnos »
Jarno Suni

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »
Here are some captions from Ashley's book of knots regarding the cat's paw.
When he draws a star next to a knot that means ; best for the purpose.
Your knot can be regarded as a simple cat's paw structure, the hook in Ashley book being replace by the rope returning in the nub; there are doubles and more depending on the situation.
jr.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:21:37 PM by enhaut »

jarnos

• personal homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 01:51:40 AM »
Your knot can be regarded as a simple cat's paw structure, the hook in Ashley book being replace by the rope returning in the nub; there are doubles and more depending on the situation.
jr.

Almost like Captain Mullins' hitch can be regarded as a simple glove hitch structure, but I would say it is more than that.
Jarno Suni

jarnos

• personal homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 01:48:24 PM »
Alternatively the nipping loops could be twisted same way (clockwise or anticlockwise) like in the Captain Mullins' hitch, but double twisted both times. It needs some testing, if it affects to the security of the knot. Anyway, I have been able to capsize both versions under heavy load.
Jarno Suni

jarnos

• personal homepage
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 03:32:01 PM »
A respective knot with only one knipping loop has been presented at position 1:22 of this video: https://www.facebook.com/125068434229063/videos/1113276012394766
Jarno Suni