Author Topic: friction handcuffs  (Read 340 times)

jensens.v

friction handcuffs
« on: December 18, 2020, 05:49:23 PM »
Good day to all of you. I  made this one a while back. I am just curious to know if someone has already made this. I have looked online for some of these and made all that I could find and they are all not as reliable as the one I have. I have tried it on a few people (willingly) and none of them succeeded in releasing it themselves and also with the help of other people who don?t understand the knots. It works better with a more smooth cord but the knot holds well even with smooth cord, a more rough cord will make it harder to tighten. It is also surprisingly easy to tighten. This is the second version I made, in the first one I did not cross the ropes that make the loops it also works but it pulls the knop open a little bit which creates some slack if not tightened very hard. When crossed it pulls the knot together giving no slack. A handcuff with actual knots will probably hold more force(I can?t pull my knot apart even with my legs or with leverage from poles but its still a friction knot) but the handcuffs can be more easily untied by your own hand or by someone else.
Link to video how to make and photos. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12IQJr2It8JGaEQuk-bkvR0Ey_XaM2blL?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:29:31 PM by jensens.v »

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
Re: self locking handcuffs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 08:03:44 PM »
Good day jensen.v

I had tried it in the past, but only till the phase of " Feeding  the ends through the PrusiK system ", and adding some stopper knots at the endings!

Your final maneuver, appears to be quite cunning, but besides the adding of some friction, i don't see how it hermetically locks the structure.

Perhaps, the adding of stoppers or the bending of two ends, can't be helped, for a completely locked final product.

No joke, do not use them on your hands when you are alone, and above all, do not test them on other people's hands even willingly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:08:52 PM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

jensens.v

Re: self locking handcuffs
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:28:47 PM »
tsik_lestat
Thanks for the response.
Locking might not be the right word for it but I don?t know how to phrase it differently. If you have a better way of describing it feel free to do so. My English is not perfect and is even worse at knots in English. Yes I have seen the one you are referring to but without putting it true again you are able to release them by rotating your writs so you only pull on the end that is just go true the turns because if you don?t pull on the other end (the turns) it does not have any resistance. As for your concerns I don?t do this alone and on other people I know the persons are not going to freak out, we all have had training in restraints and so on. (it is also easily cut in the middle with a pair of pliers if something might go wrong (not knife because of proximity to wrist)). This is more my curiosity going a little more in depth and experimenting with things I have already learned. I was just wondering if this is a new version of it or if there is an even better one that i have not seen yet.

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
Re: friction handcuffs
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:29:36 PM »
Fair enough Jensens.v, i guess there is nothing wrong to experiment within the realms of exploration and out of pure knotting interest, plus you do seem like a very responsible person.

Your binding system, almost freaked me out, when i cuffed and cinched only one hand of course, :), so that means that is good and i haven't seen it before.

Just a quick thought....

Why not passing bights, rather than ends through the Prusik? Assuming that we have a tightly cinched prusik,( after passing the bights), the two ends are able to lock each other bights.

A bit more complex structure, which requires a two move cinching of each handcuff loop.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:30:55 PM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

jensens.v

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »
About your suggestion I am not sure if I make it correctly what you describe but I have tried something like that already but then it is impossible to feed the ends true the prussic system and then 1 of the end of the handcuff goes trough without turning around something and can be pulled out pretty easily. Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you mean but I am interested in seeing what you came up with via photo or video. I am myself also still trying to find a better version but I am still not sure if putting the ends into the opposite side makes a difference and also on which side I should let the cords cross on the end where they turn around the rope ( the prusik knot) or at the ends that go through the prusik knot or even both sides as there is not really a good way to test which has more stopping power. Maybe some knot expert can figure it out by looking at what pressing on what and how it an fail. ( I have found that it can be torn open if it is not tied around anything by pulling both ends that go through the prussik after turning around the 2 outide loops of the prusik but this seems like a non-issue when used like they should and are around something and the loops aren?t just loose.) I find this a very interesting knot because so much can be done with it in many configurations by just changing a small thing: how many loops, turning the ends on 1 or both sides of the knot or not even at all, maybe putting bites through like you suggested, and I am sure some more experienced knot tyers will have even betters suggestion.

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »
Here are a couple of options after passing the bights (first image).

It goes without saying, that the tail segments of the bights exit from the side of the prusik that they were first inserted, while their very bight continuations, exit from the other side of the prusik.

Option 1 Locking each other bights (second image).

Perhaps, a couple of wraps around the bight might be added, to avoid being dragged into the prusik.

Option 2 Locking the bights with crossing knots (third image).

Each end, is being threaded into its own bight.

Quite effective locking but bulkier results.
Going knots

jensens.v

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »
A yes I see what you mean now. I have tried the first one before, the second one is quite interesting to me. The problem I had with the fist one is that you can?t just tighten it by pulling on the ends you first have to pull on the bite then the end. I might be wrong, if you are able to do it I might have tied it wrong.

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »
You are right, you are able to tighten it in a two stage process and this is a drawback.

The same stands for the second case, which might be more challenging in tightening.
Going knots