Author Topic: adjustable stopper knot or hitch recommendations?  (Read 2422 times)

Arct1c1ce

adjustable stopper knot or hitch recommendations?
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »
I am making hanging shelves, where the wood shelf is supported by an overhand knot at each corner.  In order to stay level, frequent adjustments are required by the overhand knot gets very tight and is a little difficult to adjust with the weight of the shelf . 

Are there any better options that are more easily adjustable? If not, anything that looks more elegant than the simple overhand ;D?

https://images.app.goo.gl/zQMfCRzDH2gfn3fB7

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: adjustable stopper knot or hitch recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 05:38:12 PM »
Good day Arct1c1ce.

What kind of rope are you using?

As for elegant: You could tie Turks Head Knots at each point. A bit of work, but more elegant. IMO
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:00:40 PM by SS369 »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 07:59:46 PM »
I am making hanging shelves, where the wood shelf is supported by an overhand knot at each corner.  In order to stay level, frequent adjustments are required by the overhand knot gets very tight and is a little difficult to adjust with the weight of the shelf . 

Are there any better options that are more easily adjustable? If not, anything that looks more elegant than the simple overhand ;D?

https://images.app.goo.gl/zQMfCRzDH2gfn3fB7

It may be helpful to mark out graduations on the rope ahead of time once the top anchor is firmly set.  That way, you can get a more precise initial location to set the knots before final tightening.

If you don't like the look of stopper knots, you could reeve the rope under the bottom shelf and use uniform pipe lengths to space out the shelves above, with the rope running through the pipes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:12:41 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Arct1c1ce

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »
Good day Arct1c1ce.

As for elegant: You could tie Turks Head Knots at each point. A bit of work, but more elegant. IMO

Thanks for the recommendation, I will try it out.  I'm using braided cotton, but am considering switching to a 3 strand based on the look.

KC

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »
Hard stretch rope first a few weeks?
Thru hole, around corner and thru hole again before each stopper?
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon[/color]
East meets West: again and again, cos:sine is the value pair of yin/yang dimensions
>>of benchmark aspect and it's non(e), defining total sum of the whole.
We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 01:30:41 AM »
Good day Arct1c1ce.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will try it out.  I'm using braided cotton, but am considering switching to a 3 strand based on the look.

If three strand rope is used you can open the lay of the rope, push thru some spare, separate rope and tie a separate knot of your choice. I have seen wood toggles push through the main rope and secured with a "decorative" knot. You could do a small whipping.

But, if you want to use an overhand knot (a double even) or some other stopper knot, then I would make two spacers to use between the shelves during the tying. Then you can snug it up the same each time, move the spacers to the next position, and on...

Hope this gives some help.

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 02:39:01 AM »
What if you tie a double (or triple) overhand knot with a similar line around the main suspension line at each corner?  The holes in the wood will need to closely match the diameter of the main suspension line so the shelf will sits on the added thickness of the double overhand knot.

Braided cotton, as well as twisted cotton, will have creep over time, and the length will also change with the weather, so what KC said about pre-stretching the line is a good idea.  It won't eliminate all creep, but it will produce a better product.

Pat
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:40:33 AM by PatDucey »

anything