Author Topic: Newbie doubt - What class do binding knots and the half knot belong to?  (Read 197 times)

NeopsycheMD

Hi guys! Where under Ashley's 4-fold classification do the halfknot and binding knots fall. 'Knots'? or 'Hitches'? or... Please help me out...

-Dr. A.
-Dr. A

SS369

• Global Moderator
Good day Dr.A.

No need for multiple post of the same. I've removed your other.

SS369

NeopsycheMD

Sorry, my bad! Thank you :)
-Dr. A

Dan_Lehman

As I find the traditional classes for knots not well
suited to the subject, I don't try to fit circles into
triangular holes and so on.

Binders, fro me, fall in the binders class : a knot
tied around an object in a single piece of material
and ends both untensioned --whereas a hitch would
load one.

Things get problematic with knots intended to have
varied loadings, such as a mid-line/inline eye knot.

--dl*
====

NeopsycheMD

@Dan_Lehman
Phew, that makes so much sense. (As a beginner I'm guilty of reductionist attempts at trying to fit all new incoming information into my current, negligible knowledge on the subject.) Thank you so much, and I hope to continue learning from you guys. G'day!

Dr.A
-Dr. A

KC

• Exp. Member
    • latest project
I think of a Hitch as a an endpoint for termination against LINEAR force pull/flow, a Bend as dbl.ended Hitch continuation not termination LINEAR force flow thru a joint/coupling.   Simple as plumbing or wiring to carry /usher different type force flows.
The linear force input of SPart(s) decreases thru arcs to BE.
Binding Knots totally different, resist against RADIAL 'glow' of force pushing out evenly all around, no force exiting to any SPart., in fact only arcs, no straight parts (immediate pulls in opposite directions) like ends of linears(Hitch, Bend).  Balanced forces thru arcs until final Nip to BE.  To ABoK classification I say Knot as ties back to self, but Binding Knot to me is special radial form, that needs host .  Not standalone Knot like Bowline.
If Bag or Constrictor etc. is used as Hitch, it follows linear loading pattern functionally.  Does not load evenly around as in Binding usage with same knot..   For familiarity go by naming convention.  But in actual usage, follow forces in defining I think.
In further contrasting aspect definition:
I think Sailor Hitch gives the least compressive binding around of Hitch usage from linear input, thus ABoK  choice for swing pivot , as hangs most from top of spar than others seen.  Most abrupt , immediate reduction in force flow towards BE, almost stopping at Top/against side opposite initiating linear input pull. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:01:15 AM by KC »
Rope-n-Saw Life
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt.~

NeopsycheMD

@KC
Yeah, came across one of your earlier posts, with your illustrations too and it does make sense! Thank you so much!!

Edit: another doubt. In the image you,ve shown (attatched), for a binding knot, even though the pull when we tie may be radially inwards, wouldn't the load exerted by the object be OUTWARDS??

Dr. A
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:15:11 AM by NeopsycheMD »
-Dr. A