Author Topic: A forum area for novice tyers  (Read 6717 times)

mainebingo

A forum area for novice tyers
« on: October 15, 2020, 07:27:11 PM »
This site is a wonderful resource, but for a novice tyer coming here for an easy question, the existing forums can be overwhelming and overly technical. I remember when I first found the site it took me a while to post something just because I felt like there was no area for the inexperienced and I was afraid to dumb-down the discussion.  Assuming IGKT is interested in introducing the uninitiated into knots, I think it would be helpful to have a section with an approachable title (something like: Inexperienced Questions Welcome Here) which makes it clear simple questions are welcome and where to post them.   

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: A forum area for novice tyers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:03:22 PM »
Hi Mainebingo.

I agree that sometimes the discussions get a little in depth and technical.  But, one should not shy away from asking for clear answers or further explanation, etc..
For the uninitiated, one should use a small amount of forethought and then post in the appropriate area.
If unclear they can post to the Chit Chat arena.

Questions are welcome anywhere, and if they are in the wrong place they can be moved by the asking, or I will do it if I feel it is better served elsewhere.

SS369

mainebingo

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »
Thank you for the reply. Having posted a few times I, personally, am comfortable with the existing boards--people have been great. I was merely passing along my initial apprehension fyi. 

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

wysper

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:26:19 PM »
I understand where Mainebingo is coming from.
I feel the same way. I tend not to post questions as I don't want to get jumped on for using an incorrect term like I have seen others be subject to (for example).
So a novice area would be quite cool.

I am not sure how it would be implemented though.

Cheers
Greg

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 10:05:40 PM »
Good day wysper.

I understand his point as well.
Most new members come here to learn something, or offer something and are not expected to be "experts".

That said, there are still ongoing discussions about terminology and nomenclature -  probably forever. Some due to language differences, occupations, colloquialisms, whatever...

This whole forum is for novices and "experts" alike, so, please just know ahead of time that wrong terms may be corrected, hopefully to impart a general or specific clarity.

If someone feels like that are unduly "jumped on", feel free to bring it to my attention.

Instead of a Novice area, how about just asking a question? Just pick a suitable board and post it. Let's go from there.

SS369

KC

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 09:41:40 AM »
Thanks guys for bringing this to light.
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon[/color]
East meets West: again and again, cos:sine is the value pair of yin/yang dimensions
>>of benchmark aspect and it's non(e), defining total sum of the whole.
We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples

anything