Author Topic: yChan's Knot - Crossing South Loop Knot  (Read 653 times)

siriuso

• Exp. Member
yChan's Knot - Crossing South Loop Knot
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »
Hi dear all,

Here is a Crossing South Loop Knot for comments.

Happy Knotting
yChan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:39:19 AM by siriuso »

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
Re: yChan's Knot - Crossing South Loop Knot
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
Hello again yChan

Some remarks........

1) Firstly, i see that something has gone wrong with your uploaded photos. Unless my eyes have deceived me, they look the same for both of your south and north crossing knot based loopknots. You should fix that with a new edit.

2) I kind of suspect which structure you wanted to upload in the first place, and i frankly do not see any need of starting two threads for presenting similar function knots. You might as well provide a subsequent reply in your topic and upload all your relative additional knotwork. This would be easier for the reader (and for you), to access your content, gathered under one topic, along with comments reviews e.t.c, rather than browsing through several threads. This is only a suggestion, provided that i am guessing right.

3) I like your idea of creating a two collar knot, with two synthesized interlocked crossing knots. It has a decent, clean form and i predict easy untying, although i have some concerns about its stability.

You might want to have a look at the attached picture, where it is actually your knot with an extra tuck to form a girth hitch. If you drive the WE out of the collar you have your knot again. Does this structure look familiar? It is one of the sixteen variations discussed in the following thread  https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=6346.0.
I think someone had mentioned then (Derek Smith), that pushing the WE out of the collar, does not make any difference, the collar is just for the aesthetics. In this particular instance, i think it is critical, producing a more stable knot in my opinion. However, i have tried your method in some other variations (perhaps the other one you intended to post), and found them to be well secured, and stable with a nice cinched collar.

Did i comment to the right topic, is this south or north after all?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:03:30 PM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
Hi tsik_lestat

The photos of both Loop Knots are checked and correct. I guess you mistook the differences between the 2nd pictures in both knots. They are different.

I will try to look into the thread. Would you give me a loose form of the Girth hitched Crossing Knot?

yChan

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 10:20:57 PM »
I see what has happened here.Your second images in both knots are indeed different. Ι was focusing on the fourth picture in both knots and i still can not understand why they look the same, since i have compared them side by side.

Anyway, the difference between both knots, probably lies in the handedness of the crossing knots of the collar structure, which by extension defines where the WE is placed, inside or outside the eye in my image of the girth hitched crossing loopknot.

The image is quite visible i think, there is no need to provide another one. Start from your knot, turn it from the other side and just make a simple tuck of the WE  down through the crossing knot collar, in a parallel configuration with the returning eye leg, to form the girth hitch and you are done.

At first glance it may not look the same, but if you work out the knot a bit, that is to say, pushing the crossing knot of the nipping structure towards the girth hitch collar, you will get to the desired effect. You should end up with a girth hitched loopknot with the WE inside the eye this time. Mine is opposite, outside the eye, because i was based on your fourth image, which corresponds to your other north knot

i think the mistake is in this thread, in third and fourth image. They do not coordinate with the second image and they are the same with the corresponding from your previous topic.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:02:08 AM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 06:45:16 AM »
Hi tsik_lestat,

You are right, I was mix up with the 3rd and 4th pictures. The mistakes were regulated.

yChan

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 12:32:44 AM »
Alright yChan, that's more like it, there is a coherent continuation in your images now, after your new edit.

Additionally, if you enter from the other side of this nipping component, you will find two more variations (maybe east and west?).

Moreover, try tying at least one of the other four variations that correspond to the nipping structure of coffee knot 7 in order to expand this concept (probably you have done that already). If i may, i'd like to focus on these last tangles, to show another interesting aspect of your knot, in conjuction with the tucking that was mentioned previously.
Well, if you tie one of these very four variations as a bend, and perform the two tucks of the tails to form those girth/cow hitches, you might end up with a girth hitch/cow hitch interlocking bend, like the one illustrated in the attached image.

I understand that you have a specialty in bends as you have tied myriads of them, so it is at your disposal if you care to take a look and evaluate. It appears to be highly jam resistant, if you ask me.

Sorry, no different colour rope available at the moment! Thanks!!
Going knots

agent_smith

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:27:58 AM »
Thanks for this presentation - which is closely related to your previous iteration.
In this case, the #206 Crossing hitches are in Z/S chirality.

Again, you could reverse this...and tie it in S/Z chirality.

Applying a circumferential loading profile assisted with achieving a compact dressing (with additional working).
Once properly dressed and cinched tight - it is stable and secure.

I would also comment that there is a corresponding end-to-end joining knot.

In fact, the same applies to your other presentation.

You should investigate this correspondence yChan...ie, tie the corresponding end-to-end joining knots for each of your presentations.
Compare these end-to-end joining knots with the #1439 'Carrick bend' and Harry Ashers 'Corrick bend' (illustration #100 at page 62 in the Alternative knot book) and Carricks cousin (at illustration #101).

Again, I would comment that the notional concept of 'north' and 'south' are arbitrary...