Author Topic: Properties of #1019 and #1021 loops?  (Read 326 times)

mcjtom

Properties of #1019 and #1021 loops?
« on: January 18, 2020, 07:51:07 AM »
There are two simple loops: a slip knot + half-hitch on either the standing part side (#1019) or the loop side (#1021).   I kind of dismissed them as being too, I don't know, unsophisticated...?  But they seem interesting, adjustably-lockable...

What is known about them?  Which one may be better?  Do they hold or come apart easily on a stiffer rope?  Do they jam easily?

Thanks!

p.s. There is also an interesting issue of chirality (if that's the right word) of the finishing half-hitch for both of those knots.  For example, it feels better to me to reverse the direction of half hitch in #1021 compared to Ashley, but I'm less keen about doing that for #1019).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:56:08 AM by mcjtom »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Properties of #1019 and #1021 loops?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »
There are two simple loops: a slip knot + half-hitch on either the standing part side (#1019) or the loop side (#1021).   I kind of dismissed them as being too, I don't know, unsophisticated...?  But they seem interesting, adjustably-lockable...

What is known about them?  Which one may be better?  Do they hold or come apart easily on a stiffer rope?  Do they jam easily?

Thanks!

p.s. There is also an interesting issue of chirality (if that's the right word) of the finishing half-hitch for both of those knots.  For example, it feels better to me to reverse the direction of half hitch in #1021 compared to Ashley, but I'm less keen about doing that for #1019).

I have noted in my Ashley Book of Knots that #1019 jams.  I don't bother with the #1021 as the method of securing the free end is just too prone to popping open from motion or eye flexure.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".