Author Topic: The Cossack Knot (slide and lock method) - with tutorial link  (Read 2023 times)

asemery

The Cossack Knot (slide and lock method) - with tutorial link
« on: December 27, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »
Cossack Knot
Bowline alternative

Cossack Knot Tutorial
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:55:32 PM by asemery »

agent_smith

Re: The Cossack Knot (slide and lock method) - with tutorial link
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:43:48 PM »
The so-called 'Cossack knot' can also be regarded as an 'anti-Bowline'.

There are actually 4 different versions of the anti-Bowline.
Tail manoeuvres in an 'anti-Bowline' all go in a general opposite direction relative to a simple (#1010) Bowline - hence the 'anti' moniker.

As with the simple (#1010) Bowline, the nipping loop is the key functional element.
All loops have chirality - which can either be S or Z twist.
Therefore, all Bowlines and anti-Bowlines can be tied with either S or Z twist.

In 'ABoK' - Ashley has a tendency to illustrate 'Bowlines' with a Z twist nipping loop. This leads me to speculate that he was right handed...

In your bottom photo presentation - you have tied this anti-Bowline with Z (right) chirality.
It is also possible to reverse the orientation of the tail - which gives rise to the 4 possible variations of the anti-Bowline.

I note that you have a tendency to avoid showing the tail in many of your photos.
I am not sure why you choose to do this?

asemery

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »

I note that you have a tendency to avoid showing the tail in many of your photos.

I  have three long bits of cordage that I use again and again as "models" in my tutorials.
If I trimmed the ends I would not be able to use these bits for projects requiring longer lengths.
The shoelace I use in the step by step section I carry with me all the time.  I will never trim it.   Tony

alpineer

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »

I  have three long bits of cordage that I use again and again as "models" in my tutorials.
If I trimmed the ends I would not be able to use these bits for projects requiring longer lengths.
The shoelace I use in the step by step section I carry with me all the time.  I will never trim it.   Tony

It's important to differentiate the Tail End from the S Part so that viewers aren't left to guess. Why not just tie the knot near the End, or use other shorter cord for this purpose? Braided mono-colour cordage is best for showing the internal structure and routing of a knot.

alpineer
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 05:57:27 PM by alpineer »

asemery

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 01:07:45 AM »

It's important to differentiate the Tail End from the S Part so that viewers aren't left to guess. Why not just tie the knot near the End, or use other shorter cord for this purpose? Braided mono-colour cordage is best for showing the internal structure and routing of a knot.

alpineer
I use a shoelace for the step by step photos in my tutorials.  The working end (aiglet) is shown in each step (in most of the tutorials)
(I am in the process of taking new photos to clarify ambiguous tutorials.  Tony
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 01:19:42 AM by asemery »

agent_smith

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 02:29:32 AM »
Photo showing the 4 versions of the 'anti-Bowline'...

Also showing relationship to 'anti Sheet bend'.
(Note: Commonly known as a Lapp bend)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:36:14 AM by agent_smith »