Author Topic: A new loop knot,  (Read 433 times)

alanleeknots

A new loop knot,
« on: December 15, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »
Hi All, I have a loop knot here, very well secure, quite compact. I have a quick test, loaded 1800 kg and it easy untie.
          謝謝 alanlee.

Used Bluewater Ropes 11mm(7/16")SAFELINE NFPA static Rope,  Tensile strength 3487 kg (7688 lbf.)

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
Re: A new loop knot,
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 02:32:38 AM »
Looking forward to one of your relaxing videos demonstrating this knot.

agent_smith

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 02:34:02 AM »
Thanks Alan,
Nice work.
Unfortunately, not TIB...although I presume this wasn't a design goal?

alanleeknots

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 03:57:56 AM »
Hi All, Thanks for all the reply.
          This Canadian adjustable loop is a non slip and easy to untie for adjusting the size of the loop.
          Have a quick test, the slip bight version, easy to untie after loading with extreme load.
          For slip tail version  after loading with extreme load, I found a little hard to untie, other then that
          is easy to untie.
         Three versions of these Crossing knot bowlines are hard to tie, but bowline nipping loop fit into these
         base structure very nice, they are all nice looking bowline, may only good for decoration.  謝謝 alanlee

" World peace and Happy New Year 2020 "

tsik_lestat

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 10:39:49 PM »
With regard to your first initial loop, i think i have seen a similar approach, not the same, from Luca or Xarax, (i am not so sure, and i can not locate the link right now), with just a single overhand as a collar structure.
You are proceeding a bit further, by doubling it and driving the WE down through the collar. It is a pleasant surprise that this loop is easy to untie after loaded at almost 50% of MBS, which is a major loading, keeping its initial shape, as shown in your "release from rig" images.

I wanted to focus on your second presentation about the crossing knot bowlines. I have a contribution/suggestion to make with a reverse oriented structure, which resides in my archives for quite some time now, alleged to be a more practical approach. I do not wish to hijack or flood your topic,  since i might possibly add a few structures, so i have started a new thread under the name "Crossing knot link bowline"

Thanks and happy new year!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:42:06 PM by tsik_lestat »

agent_smith

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
Greetings Alan,

With regard to your 'Crossing knot Bowline II':

To my eye, this is built from a blimp knot (#582).

The central mechanism in all 'Bowlines' is the nipping loop.
In all of the primary Bowlines (from ABoK), the nipping loop is based on a single or double helical loop that is loaded at both ends, and is TIB.

Nipping structures that are TIB but not directly based on a single or double helical loop (eg a Marlinspike hitch, a Crossing hitch) ought to be regarded as close facsimiles of a 'Bowline' - and I like to think of such eye knots as being virtual Bowlines (ie almost, but not quite).

In your particular presentation, I don't think a #582 Blimp knot qualifies as a nipping loop or a nipping structure.

*** Full disclosure: I am currently using a very small laptop with a very small screen. But your Crossing knot Bowline II does appear to be a #582 Blimp knot (which isn't TIB). I'll try to get access to a larger computer screen to double check this...

alanleeknots

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
Mark, I think these loops here, may create some problem for you to define the bowline.
I have 3 pictures here, all three loops the incoming eye leg does go out the hole and around the tree and back to the hole, I think we can call it bowline, but because of the incoming eye leg have the crossing knot or overhand knot tie to the upper part of the nipping loop, when you load the loop, the incoming eye leg waste most of its power pulling again the nipping loop,
nipping loop lost all the proper bowline nipping function and also nothing can reach to collar near the standing part, now the cross over point of nipping loop are parallel each other and squeezing on the central part of base structure. This squeezing force still maintaining the loop very well, except the collar near standing part is very wide and loose..
Now I am no sure if a loop doesn't have the proper bowline nipping function, are these knots still qualify as a bowline.
with the three pictures, those loops on the right side, if the rope is not that hard and stiff and you dress the knot good and tie, it will maintain decent proper function on the nipping.  謝謝 alanlee.

agent_smith

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 01:29:26 PM »
Hi Alan,

I see what has happened.

With specific regard to your post at reply #3...

The Bowline II image has been reversed.
You show 3 images for 'Bowline II'.
In the first image, the tail is yellow and the SPart is white.
In the 2nd (middle) image, we can see the nipping loop as being yellow.
In a normal 'Bowline' - the nipping loop would be created from the white rope.
In your final (3rd) image, you show the yellow rope as the SPart.
In other words, you have reversed the color coding of the rope segments.

This is what caught me out!

Might be better to label which is the SPart and which is the tail.
And keep the colors consistent...

alanleeknots

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 07:51:59 PM »
Hi All.   A good looking TIB bowline. hope you like it. 謝謝 alanlee.