Author Topic: Slipped overhand knot lanyard - tutorial link  (Read 1183 times)

asemery

Slipped overhand knot lanyard - tutorial link
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:29:29 AM »
Slipped Overhand Knot Lanyard
This lanyard/zipper pull uses a slipped overhand knot as its base.

Slipped overhand knot lanyard tutorial

siriuso

• Exp. Member
Re: Slipped overhand knot lanyard - tutorial link
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »
Hi Asemery,

Your knot Slipped Overhand Knot is the same as my Ashley's Loop posted in page 23 of KM 137. The article title is named by KM. I have requested to amend the article title to "Manipulating Ashley's Bend", but no respond.

Happy Knotting
yChan

asemery

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
Hi Asemery,

Your knot Slipped Overhand Knot is the same as my Ashley's Loop posted in page 23 of KM 137. The article title is named by KM. I have requested to amend the article title to "Manipulating Ashley's Bend", but no respond.

Happy Knotting
yChan

Hello yChan,
I have been using this knot for many years.  I have been collecting knotting related books since the 1960's so it took me a while to find where I discovered it. 
"Knots, useful and ornamental" by Shaw, MCMXXIV - before Ashley.   Tony
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 12:48:01 AM by asemery »

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
Hi Tony,

I am glad to here from you that you have discovered this knot and use for many years. Will you please show us your past work relating to this knot.

yChan

asemery

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 06:29:16 PM »
Hi Tony,

I am glad to here from you that you have discovered this knot and use for many years. Will you please show us your past work relating to this knot.

yChan
I do not have any past work relating to this knot.  I make up zipper pulls of all sorts (see my past posts) and give them away as I make them.
Here is a photo of bottom of page 10 in the book I cited in previous post.  I purchased this book in the mid 1970's.

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
Hi Tony,

I have searched and found this book on my book shelf. Attacked page 10 herewith.

Sketch I to III and sketch IV and V are two different tying methods with two working ends.

Sketch VI to VIII are tying methods with a working end.

I find that this knot (bend) bears the same configuration with different name in decades, that is:

- Twin Overhand Knot (page 10 of "Knots useful & ornamental" by George Russell Shaw, in 1924).
- Two-strand Diamond Knot (page 140, #781 of ABOK by Clifford W. Ashley, in 1944).
- ABOK #1452 (page 264, #1452 of ABOK by Clifford W. Ashley, in 1944). (later known as Ashley's Bend).

I concur you got a new name for this loop knot tied with one working end (sketch VI to VIII) as Slipped Overhand Knot, while I got it and named as Ashley's Loop Knot in later years. So, I will revise it in my folder "My New Knots" later.

Happy Knotting
yChan

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
Hi all,

On the picture above of page 10, I found that I have not specified the two knots of steps I to V. They are ABOK #1408/1409 (later included in Ashley Books of Knots).

Happy Knotting and Happy 2020
yChan