Author Topic: Slide and Lock Loop (w tutorial link)  (Read 3079 times)

asemery

Slide and Lock Loop (w tutorial link)
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »
Slide and Lock Loop
Lanyard, zipper pull, etc.

Slide and Lock Loop tutorial

agent_smith

Re: Slide and Lock Loop (w tutorial link)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 05:23:08 AM »
Thanks for your presentation.

Some constructive feedback:
There is an unwritten rule that in sequential photos showing a knot tying method, one should always clearly distinguish tail from SPart.
In one of your photos - if you squint reasonable hard - you can just barely identify a tail.

When I noticed your post - I thought it might be another adjustable noose hitch (which can be loaded and then easily re-adjusted again).
But alas, it doesn't work in this manner.

I have to admit that I prefer the Gnat hitch (noose) to your offering.
In the world of fixed rope ascending/descending, an adjustable foot stirrup is crucial for efficiency.
I now routinely use the Gnat noose to construct an adjustable foot stirrup.
Although, in human rated EN564 cords, you have to make sure you dress and and cinch the knot core firmly, otherwise it can slip under cyclic application of body weight.

As it currently stands, I use and recommend the Gnat hitch to fabricate an adjustable foot stirrup for SRT rope work.
Its simple, has a small footprint, doesn't use up much cord length, and remains adjustable even after cyclic loading.

If someone can show me something even more efficient, simpler, and easier to use than Gnat hitch, I'll switch to it :)

asemery

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 02:49:02 PM »
Thanks for your presentation.

Some constructive feedback:
There is an unwritten rule that in sequential photos showing a knot tying method, one should always clearly distinguish tail from SPart.
In one of your photos - if you squint reasonable hard - you can just barely identify a tail.

I was aware of that unwritten rule but forgot it.  I have changed the photos.  Tony

agent_smith

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 05:36:00 AM »
Thanks for updating your images.

Experienced knot tyers wouldn't have struggled with your first set of images (as depicted in this thread topic).
But, less experienced or 'new to the hobby' knot tyers may have scratched their heads for little while.
In any case, its good to have clear unambiguous photos of knots.

Out of curiosity, how do you compare your presentation to the Gnat hitch in terms of applications?
I'm not suggesting that your presentation is no good...rather, am just curious about your thoughts?

I can see that your presentation - once dressed and cinched - creates a non-slipping (fixed) eye. You adjust the eye to the desired size and then lock it.
The Gnat hitch (noose) can also be adjusted - with the eye expanded or shrunk until the desired size is achieved. When load is applied, it locks. What I like about the Gnat hitch, is that it can be re-adjusted relatively easy after loading (without untying it).

I have found that with EN564 human rated cord, you have to take care with the dressing to get the Gnat hitch to lock.
If using it as an adjustable stirrup for SRT rope ascension, there is nothing more annoying that a stirrup that slips...

Your presentation could also be used as an SRT foot stirrup - but, once locked and loaded, any further re-adjustment would be difficult.
(Note that in my case, my applications are within a defined set of height access circumstances - which is likely outside of your intended application).

asemery

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 06:22:30 AM »
I had not thought much about this loop (ABoK 1029) except as s handy lanyard or zipper pull.  I never considered heavy load applications.
I have no idea what EN564 cord is
I do not knot what a SRT foot stirrup is but assume it is used in climbing.

Please take a look at the crabbers eye knot tutorial (just posted).  The locking mechanism is similar to the gnat hitch.  You might like like it.  Tony

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:11:53 PM by asemery »

agent_smith

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 08:33:46 AM »
Thanks for your ongoing good work 'asemery' (Tony).

Please refer to my photo to get an idea of what 'SRT' rope work is.

I am of the view that the Gnat hitch is superior to your presentation as an adjustable foot stirrup.
This is not to say that your presentation is no good.

I am simply pointing out that in the narrow field of SRT rope ascension, the Gnat hitch is a better choice.

The key issue is the ability to adjust the eye even after it has been heavily loaded.

EN 564 is a European standard that outlines the specification for human-rated 'accessory cord' used in mountaineering and technical rope work.
I find that the Gnat hitch work well with EN 564 cord.
My preferred cordage is from Sterling rope  USA.
Link: https://sterlingrope.com/

asemery

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »
My knowledge of the gnat hitch came from a google search. 
I did not realize that the gnat hitch noose was a different knot.
I googled "gnat hitch noose" and it just led me to the gnat hitch.
Your photo shows the difference.    Now I know what you were referring to.
Thanks.  Tony
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:51:21 PM by asemery »

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 06:34:29 PM »
My knowledge of the gnat hitch came from a google search. 
I did not realize that the gnat hitch noose was a different knot.
I googled "gnat hitch noose" and it just led me to the gnat hitch.
Your photo shows the difference.    Now I know what you were referring to.
Thanks.  Tony
What you're calling "Gnat Hitch Noose" is the Gnat Hitch.  There is no distinction other than your visual point of view. The Gnat Hitch is a noose knot.

I'm sure Agent_Smith can explain better or correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 06:56:09 PM by Keystoner »

asemery

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »

What you're calling "Gnat Hitch Noose" is the Gnat Hitch.  There is no distinction other than your visual point of view. The Gnat Hitch is a noose knot.

I'm sure Agent_Smith can explain better or correct me if I'm wrong.

I was referring to the photo that Agent-Smith posted in reply #5 in this thread.  It looks to me like 2 separate and different knots
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:17:45 PM by asemery »

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 07:31:21 PM »
I was referring to the photo that Agent-Smith posted in reply #5 in this thread.  It looks to me like 2 separate and different knots
Ahh, I see what you're saying—you're taking about the two knots in his picture. Yes, I agree.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 11:26:52 PM by Keystoner »