Author Topic: I need a knot that does this...  (Read 243 times)

Avolio

I need a knot that does this...
« on: September 26, 2019, 01:26:44 AM »
Hello IGKT,

I am a artist looking for a specific knot or family of knots.  I just don?t know enough terminology to find it through google. Here?s what I?m looking for...
-in a single length of rope, i want to tie a knot that will act as a stopper or spacer when something rests on it.  The trick is that i want the working end to exit the knot directly in-line with the rest of the rope. I don't want it to kink off to one side or the other.
- it would be nice if i could vary the size of that stopper, perhaps by going over the first knot a second time...
- i would also be open to learning a knot that acts like a bead by slipping onto the rope but appears to be of the same material.

Any thoughts? What should i learn?

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: I need a knot that does this...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 04:36:41 AM »
Hello IGKT,

I am a artist looking for a specific knot or family of knots.  I just don?t know enough terminology to find it through google. Here?s what I?m looking for...
-in a single length of rope, i want to tie a knot that will act as a stopper or spacer when something rests on it.  The trick is that i want the working end to exit the knot directly in-line with the rest of the rope. I don't want it to kink off to one side or the other.
- it would be nice if i could vary the size of that stopper, perhaps by going over the first knot a second time...
- i would also be open to learning a knot that acts like a bead by slipping onto the rope but appears to be of the same material.

Any thoughts? What should i learn?

The standard overhand knot or figure eight stopper will fit much of your task, but asking a stopper knot to have a variable diameter might be a bit much.  You might have to look to a washer instead.  What is your application?

The bead of rope construction would likely show the cut ends of rope.  I have a feeling you might not like that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:39:26 AM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

agent_smith

Re: I need a knot that does this...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 04:44:59 AM »
Hello Avolio,

Thanks for posting your question...you have come to the right place :)

Have a look at the attached images.
Hopefully you will find something that works for your specific needs?

#516 and #517 should be of interest.
Also, have a look at #577 and #579.

I am hoping that I haven't violated copyright laws in posting these images?