Author Topic: No luck identifying in Chit Chat Forum so maybe more appropriate here.  (Read 291 times)

MkT

Hello,
In playing with cord recently using the Constrictor hitch as my starting point, I stumbled upon/made a slip/grip noose that others and I have been unable to identify.  I brought this to the attention of the Chit Chat Forum in "Messing with the Constrictor Hitch".  tsik_lestat kindly responded in great detail to help.  agent_smith also kindly responded.  I even responded to myself in an attempt at self-examination of the problem with multiple photos using different perspectives.  Unfortunately have not heard from anyone as to a confirmed identification.  I reverse-engineered it and found a second method of tying it also.
Method 1:  Using the Constrictor as a starting point.  Method 2:  Using the Simple Noose as a starting point. 

Photos showing both methods of tying can be found in the Chit Chat Forum under "Messing with the Constrictor Hitch".  I did discover today, however, that the Simple Noose starting point Method does not necessarily always automatically form the final "dressed" nub structure when pulled tight, if the cord is extremely stiff (e.g. very stiff 550 paracord).  Sometimes it needs help being dressed.  Whereas the Constrictor starting point Method has always automatically formed the final dressed nub structure when tightened, without the need for extra dressing of the structure.

I have included below two photos showing a front and back view of the final nipping structure using 5 mm cotton cord.

I have hesitated to bring this up in the New Knot Investigations Forum because I have no clue if it is anything new.  (I probably doubt it.)  But maybe someone looking in this Forum might recognize it.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:05:40 PM by MkT »

agent_smith

Although not specifically along your thought of using a constructor hitch as the base structure for building a noose, I thought I'd draw your attention to the 'Gnat hitch'.
The Gnat hitch (not in ABoK) was apparently discovered around Feb 2012 and is actually a noose.

And it is simple in structure.

One thing I found while assessing its usefulness as an adjustable foot loop for SRT (single rope technique) climbing is that its ability to grip and hold a precise position depends on:
1. The type of cord used (eg Sterling 8mm cord works really well due to its more 'frictive' sheath construction); and
2. How well you set and dress the structure (although this is true for most knot structures but, if you want to use the Gnat hitch as an adjustable foot loop for climbing, you don't want it to slip under body weight).

Another interesting thing I found while checking if there was a TIB method of forming the Gnat hitch is that it is topologically equivalent to #582 Blimp/lanyard knot.
And from #582, it can be transformed into an anti Bowline (anti #1010).

Although none of the above directly relates to a noose built from a constrictor hitch, i will try to find some time to understand your particular presentation and what your objective is.

MkT

Thanks for your detailed reply agent_smith. The Gnat Hitch/Noose you brought up is a great one, clean and simple design, and you gave me an excuse to revisit it. Easy to manipulate into the Blimp knot (used as a stopper knot maybe?) which I wasn?t familiar with before your posting.  For me, the Gnat as a Noose is finicky to dress, though, in order to get it to grip strongly in 550 paracord.  I would need to practice it a lot in order to be confident in it as a foot ?stirrup?.

I know just a few knots but no knot theory to speak of (green-horn). The  Constrictor-based Noose of my question is just a result of curiosity, playing around, goal free, in ?the shoe string sand box? with no serious objective in mind. And has probably been tied, rejected, and tossed in the waste bin by many others in the past.

I do like some of its qualities though. Easy to tie and not that difficult to untie. This Constrictor-originated Noose slides (is adjusted) along the TAIL end, not the supporting end (not the usual for nooses is it?).   It does grip extremely well.  I haven?t loaded it with more than 180 lbs. yet, but I haven?t seen it slip using paracord.  Easy to adjust the loop size even after having been set after a load has been removed.  Will try it out using other types of cordage and monofilament  fishing line.

Thanks again for your expertise and help.