Author Topic: Wrino dock-line loop  (Read 4603 times)

minstrel

Wrino dock-line loop
« on: October 28, 2019, 02:07:15 AM »
The attached pic (.png) comes in documentation for the Wrino boathook <www.wrino.com>.
I am curious if this non-slip "Wrino loop" is known by any other name (ABOK identifier?).
And are there (better) alternatives for the same purpose - to form a large non-slip loop to lasso a dock-side cleat, pile etc?

Thanks for any assistance.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Wrino in any way; I just purchased the Wrino boathook, which IMO is excellent.

Groundline

Re: Barber pole like knot - looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
The knot itself is an overhand knot tied around the spliced loop. Watching the promotional YouTube video, at 1:57 the promoter shows the use of this knot in his slip-looped mooring line to prevent its tightening and ensure its removal over a mooring buoy.
Don't look at the Sun.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Wrino dock-line loop
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 06:37:04 PM »
The attached pic (.png) comes in documentation for the Wrino boathook <www.wrino.com>.
I am curious if this non-slip "Wrino loop" is known by any other name (ABOK identifier?).
And are there (better) alternatives for the same purpose - to form a large non-slip loop to lasso a dock-side cleat, pile etc?

Thanks for any assistance.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Wrino in any way; I just purchased the Wrino boathook, which IMO is excellent.
I'm not so sure of the practicality of a tying method that requires both ends of what could be a long rope.  I think I would prefer a simple rope with no spliced eye so that I can fashion whatever end structure I need without needing access to both ends of the rope.

If I was forced to incorporate the spliced eye, one could form a fixed loop with method similar to the Midspan Sheet Bend which would not require both ends of the rope.  The finished product will not be as clean looking as a standard loop tied without an eye splice getting in the way.

Of course one could just ignore the spliced eye and tie the fixed loop of your choice, leaving the splice to dangle.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:43:58 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
It does seem to me that if you already have some dock line, then a simple bowline (or locked) would suffice.
Nice hook though.

SS

minstrel

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:48:29 PM »
Thanks Groundline for the Wrino loop name / description.

I agree with Roo that the Wrino loop can be impractical since it requires both ends of what could be a long rope. Indeed, the other end (not spliced loop) could already be tied-off / cleated.

I offer an alternative Wrino non-slip dock-line loop knot that only requires the one (spliced loop) end - please see attached PDF.

Comments welcome.

PS. Alt. Wrino loop pic (.jpg) also attached
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:55:35 PM by minstrel »

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 12:18:39 AM »
If I was forced to incorporate the spliced eye, one could form a fixed loop with method similar to the Midspan Sheet Bend which would not require both ends of the rope.  The finished product will not be as clean looking as a standard loop tied without an eye splice getting in the way.

Of course one could just ignore the spliced eye and tie the fixed loop of your choice, leaving the splice to dangle.
Or, incorporating the eye and bumping one's
diameter-within-the-nipping_turn count!

The mid-span sheet bend is right on target,
and prefer either (a) to orient the knot so that the
SPart reaches farther of the twin parts towards the
eye (and will bear against its twin part),
or (b) bring the bight-end OVER the SPart and
tuck back through that space.  The concern is
slippage of having the twin parts running through
the knot's main nip, where in slick rope there can
be slippage.  (One can (c) tie off the tucked bight
into a slip knot to prevent slippage.)

Meanwhile, cowboys will be thinking "what a wimpy
line he's using : get a proper lariat and, heck, I could
dock to that pile from 20 yards away!"   ;D

OH, and ditto to Scott's remark that, given both ends
of the line, putting in a bowline (eye splice becoming
the collar) is preferable.

--dl*
====

Twine

• Exp. Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:57:10 PM »

Yes, but if we're not allowed to ignore the eyesplice, one way that's often seen would be to use a toggle. Take a bight of the standing part through the eyesplice and insert a plank as a toggle in the bight. Holds even the biggest ships.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 12:56:28 AM »

Yes, but if we're not allowed to ignore the eyesplice,
one way that's often seen would be to use a toggle.
Take a bight of the standing part through the eyesplice
and insert a plank as a toggle in the bight. Holds even the biggest ships.
??  This will amount to a noose in eyes that are not
relatively short --the deflection from the toggle to
other parts being slight!  What has been presented
as an option, though, is forming a sort of bowline
using a toggle between SPart & collaring bight just
beside the nipping turn (like toggling a sheepshank).

But adaptation of the mid-line sheet bend essentially
works a toggle effect, locked.

--dl*
====