Author Topic: Manual for making flat and round sennits / braidings  (Read 3640 times)

Paulus

Manual for making flat and round sennits / braidings
« on: June 09, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
As a guest at this forum I would like to draw your attention to a book I wrote about the making of flat and round sennits:

https://issuu.com/telfort21/docs/handboek

It features over a 100 sennits, of wich more than a few original. All sennits are accompanied by text, a diagram, a table and a photograph. Moreover, the book gives novel insights in the constructions of sennits and describes several new designing techniques.

It is free for everyone to read and copy. A drawback is that it is written in dutch with limits its accessibility to people considerably. Having found new fields of interest, I unfortunately lack the time (equals money) to translate it to english at this moment. Hopefully I will be able to do so in the future.

My intend is to share this information freely with all people interested and your assosiation seems to be the place to find them.

Groundline

Re: Manual for making flat and round sennits / braidings
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 02:09:32 AM »
Thank you Paulus, a very generous donation to the knotting community.
Don't look at the Sun.

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
A very interesting book.  Many innovative braids.  A shame about the presentation format that means that your international audience that might want to understand what you've written will need to screencap -> ocr -> cut & paste into a translator (or learn Dutch!).

That is, unless you didn't intend to choose not to allow downloads on Issuu?  You did say it is intended to be free to copy?

Paulus

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:38:19 AM »
Thanks for you reaction. It is indeed my intention to allow free distribution. I've used the free option of Issuu to publish this PDF file, this option does however not allow free downloads. I am looking for an alternative which will. As I wrote, I will translate everything to english when I get to it, hopefully in the near future. I will keep you posted.

KnotMe

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »
I've downloaded from Scribd before, but not having an account I can't speak for the process.  Alternatively, there's Google Drive or Dropbox (each with their various pros and cons...)  Also, while more fussy and involving more trust, there are several of us with websites that would be happy to host your file (maybe even the IGKT?)

Paulus

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:41:45 PM »
I've put a copy on Google Drive. You can use the following link to open and download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qLhlUHmL6LF6P7yz4kJ_yXHhzYR-1nDf/view?usp=sharing

(and it would be an honour to be hosted by the IGKT!)

Groundline

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:37:37 AM »
Thank you for switching to an unlocked GoogleDocs edition.

I had been typing the Dutch into text and copy/pasting it through GoogleTranslate into English.
Don't look at the Sun.

KnotMe

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »
I've put a copy on Google Drive.
Thank you so much!  Preparing to run it though an online translator, right now.   :D

(and it would be an honour to be hosted by the IGKT!)
I hope the webmistress is paying attention.    ;)

KnotMe

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 02:16:00 AM »
I've run the text through Google Translate.  Here's a version annotated in English, for those who are interested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u2jjCeqdQhk47wl2rMkF6PkS_PVTQk7V/view?usp=sharing

Would you mind if i shared your book with The Braid Society?  I'm sure they'll have interesting thoughts and useful comments....   :D

Paulus

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 06:52:47 AM »
Hi KnotMe,
nice translation, the result is better than I anticipated. I can use a lot of it for the english version of my book.
And share by all means, I am very curious what they have to say about it.
Thanks again.

KnotMe

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 01:49:50 AM »
The word "track" occurs a few times in your text according to Google Translate (the first time is with braid #32) and a few of us were wondering if you are familiar with the work of Noemi Speiser (author of The Manual of Braiding and a number of works on loop braiding)?

deckhandiana

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 08:53:33 PM »
These are truly beautiful braids, I look forward to attempting some of them.

Thank you, Paulus.

Diana.

Paulus

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
Thank?s for all your positive reactions!
I wrote most of the material for this book when I traveled more or les of the grid. I learned of Noemi Speiser?s book about braiding later but never came around to reading it though. It seems a great work with a lot of information so I will try to get a copy.
Your great response and help (KnotMe) has motivated me to get going with the English version and hope to finish it soon.

anything