Author Topic: Matthew Walker insanity  (Read 344 times)

toubabdoc

Matthew Walker insanity
« on: May 23, 2019, 06:09:08 PM »
I have spent the last five hours trying to tie a six-stranded Matthew. Without success!!! I know most of you are shaking your heads wondering how somebody could be that dumb....but here I am! Frustrated as hell. And I've done it before but today it just isn't coming together.
I get the intial process but then drawing up ends up in a fezzle. I've watched several youtube videos and they don't help.
For one thing, they say to just start drawing up little by little, which I do, and end up with a bunch of stuff going one way and a bunch going the other, and never the twain meet!
Do you start drawing up with strand #1 or with the last strand? Or does it not matter?
As you draw up is the strand around the running part the one that will end up on the outside of the knot?
Is there a video or a good description of the drawing-up process anywhere? (Ashley doesn't even mention it!)
Give me a hand here, please!

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Matthew Walker insanity
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 06:43:12 PM »
Hi toubabdoc and good day to you.

Yep, the tightening sequence is where I have had challenges as well.
Here is a link to a site http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/matthew-walker-knot.html that just may help you. Better than I could do with my own words.
Just tighten little by little (!!!) every cord individually, push the cords over as the instructions show and tell.

Hope this helps you.

SS

snellu

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:48:15 PM »
Maybe this could help: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yr19agTIvf8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Captain Craig

• I?m a professional mariner in the Gulf of Mexico.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:40:31 AM »
Definitely a knot that is easy to tie, yet difficult to tighten. Mikko Snellman has some outstanding tutorials on youtube. Good luck!