Author Topic: what a knot?  (Read 585 times)

Dmitry

what a knot?
« on: May 04, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
Dear knot tyers! Help identify the knot please. This knot was showed by my friend bosun Alex. He told that this knot was used on a mollusc trawler to attach rope to shackles, ets. Nobody says this knot name, it always named "knot".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:07:01 AM by Dmitry »

agent_smith

Re: what a knot?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 03:06:07 AM »
Interesting fixed eye knot structure.

It is a little fiddly to arrive at a somewhat stable dressing state - which has the appearance of an inverted Bowline with the collar formed around the 'returning eye leg'.
It becomes unstable when you pull on the 'ongoing eye leg' - which causes the 'apparent nipping loop' to deform.

As a thought experiment - if you cut the 'eye' (which some prefer to identify as a 'loop') you transform the structure to a corresponding 'end-to-end' joining knot.
When viewed in this way, it can be seen as a crossing hitch married to a 360 degree 'turn'.

This fixed eye knot appears to be jam resistant.

Dmitry

Re: what a knot?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »
This loop is like a Capstan knot ABOK 1831. I have tested it at 6 mm polyamid rope. Sometimes it slip under heavy load, if the "base knot" is tightened weakly. Sometimes withstands up to break. If the loop has not shrunk, the knot can be untied by fingers.
In my mind this "mollusk loop" is less complicated than a Capstan knot. It can be tied by one hand like a bowline.