Author Topic: A slip knot similar to a taut line?  (Read 467 times)

Therus

A slip knot similar to a taut line?
« on: May 01, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
Hello all, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm not following the correct protocol for posting. I was messing around with some rope and discovered this knot, and I can't seem to find it anywhere online. My knot knowledge isn't great enough to correctly search for it I'm guessing.

That's why I'm here, does anyone know what this knot is? It's multi-functional. The working end slips the loop like a two half hitch, and the fixed end constricts like a bowline. It has similar properties to a taut line but when you pull both ends, the knot opens because it's a slip knot.

Unfortunately I didn't Identify the fixed / working end in the photo. The left side is the fixed end, and the right side is the working end (pertaining to the last photo in the series).

I pulled on the knot (fixed end) with as much force as I could muster, but it would not budge. After careful examination I found that the fixed end constricts the slip end thus causing it to be stationary, similarly to a taut line.

If, in the unlikely chance that this is actually a new knot, I'd like it to be called the White Hitch.

the forum isnt letting me upload an image so heres a link to it: https://i.imgur.com/4o8d58Q.jpg

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:27:25 PM by Therus »

aciim

Re: A slip knot similar to a taut line?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
At least very similar is here: https://youtu.be/6IRWnYVqzzo?t=14

And yes, it is cool knot and I have no idea what it is called...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:09:41 PM by aciim »

MkT

Re: A slip knot similar to a taut line?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »
Hello Therus,
I have been trying to identify and get feedback on this Forum about a Constrictor-originated noose I accidentally made last week when playing around with cord.  No luck identifying so far.  I am guessing that what I made has probably been made by others many times before, but as yet not sure.

I just happened upon your post this morning and it was interesting to me that we both used a similar play technique when we each made our two different structures:  We fed a bight through a known hitching structure and formed the bight into a noose (not as a slip). Yours was originated using a Cow Hitch, and mine was originated using a Constrictor Hitch.  Both nooses that resulted are of the grip and slip type with the noose size adjusted along the TAIL end, not the supporting strand.  Both grip really well and can be easily adjusted.  I tied your Cow Hitch-originated noose this morning and it works well.  I like it.  Its intermediate and final cinched structure is different than in my Constrictor- originated Noose but I don't  know enough about knot structure theory yet to analyze them well enough in terms of the pros and cons of the structural components. 

The experienced members on this site seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful.  Perhaps somebody here will recognize or identify these two grip-slip nooses.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:14:07 PM by MkT »