Author Topic: Is knot tying a little addictive?  (Read 210 times)

breadwild

• Designer/developer by day knot tyer by night
    • Business
Is knot tying a little addictive?
« on: April 21, 2019, 03:02:42 AM »
I started tying about 3 months ago and while it was hard at first, now that I'm learning the ropes (sorry) and the lingo, I'm having fun. Today I got to try my first practical knot in the wild. I had to tie a line to a carabiner for a swing for my grandchildren. I'm sure I was overthinking it but oscillated between a buntline, gnat hitch, and double fisherman (I've only "mastered" about 20 knots). They all seemed secure, but the double fisherman was more aesthetically pleasing. All that practice paid off and came off without a hitch (oops, did it a again).

As a web programmer I spend my days staring a screen, but now, every 15 minutes I take a 1 minute break and practice a knot. I've got rope and rings at work, at home, on the bed stand (my wife just rolls her eyes), and I carry a small "kit" in my pocket (attached). So, instead of staring at my iPhone, I tie a knot.

I hope I'm not the only weird one ;)

Brad

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:40:59 PM by breadwild »
-----
Brad
breadwild@gmail.com

GlasafMT

Re: Is knot tying a little addictive?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »
Hiya

I do exactly the same!  I'm a programmer by trade and use knots as a rest from staring at a screen.

I think I saw that you use Animated Knots?  Have a look a the Palomar Knot for tying a line to a loop - it's a lovely knot!

Lee

breadwild

• Designer/developer by day knot tyer by night
    • Business
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
Lee,

I have looked at the Palomar (highly rated for security) but most of my applications would not allow slipping that final loop over the ring or hook. It only seems to work if you are not tying it to a fixed point.

BTW, I also like netknots.com and have the Knots 3D app on my iPhone.

Brad
-----
Brad
breadwild@gmail.com

Transminator

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »
Hi breadwild

A little?  :o You will find that you are here, in this forum, in the majority with your addiction and you will find lots of new ideas and inspiration as well as good advice for any kind of knotting problem.

I also tie a lot in breaks. The fascination of knots, once found, has never left me. Its been many many years now and I am still finding new knots and applications.

I started with practical knots and for 10 years or so I am also into the fascinating and satisfying hobby of fancy knotting (dog leads, bell ropes, mats, keyfobs etc.) and never get tired of it.

I have been knotting on cruise ships, long train rides and in my break I often tie bottle / jug sling knots or knife lanyard knots (which is based on the carrick bend). Both lines of knotting (fancy and practical) overlap quite a bit. The simple method of tying the knife lanyard knot can also be applied to tying a carrick bend, which is a very good bend but which I dismissed before because I found it awkward to tie. Not anymore. Now I use it regularly!

Happy knotting and welcome to forum and the "bottomless pit" of knot tying.

Greatings

T