Author Topic: What's a good finishing knot to tie under a load  (Read 332 times)

breadwild

• Designer/developer by day knot tyer by night
    • Business
What's a good finishing knot to tie under a load
« on: April 09, 2019, 03:55:53 AM »
I'm not sure I have the terminology correct (still a novice) but let me explain. I want to tie a rope between two secure rings and make the rope is tight as possible. I'm going to use a traditional Bunt Line Hitch to secure the rope to the first ring and then thread it through the second ring and pull the rope tight. The question is: how can I get the rope as tight as possible and still tie a secure knot. I thought about tying an Adjustable Grip Hitch or Taut Line Hitch, but not sure how secure that final knot would be under stress and movement. Thoughts? Thank You.
-----
Brad
breadwild@gmail.com

asemery

Re: What's a good finishing knot to tie under a load
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 05:14:09 AM »
You can pull the  versatackle  very tight between two points.

breadwild

• Business
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
Thanks. Interesting to read about how it compares to the truckers hitch. How would you tie it off? Half hitches?
-----
Brad
breadwild@gmail.com

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
Thanks. Interesting to read about how it compares to the truckers hitch. How would you tie it off? Half hitches?
Possibly, but the Versatackle is self-locking and doesn't necessarily require additional tying off.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

breadwild

• Business
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 03:39:48 PM »
Yeah, I just tied a couple and it's surprisingly secure. Knots can be magical sometimes.  ;)
-----
Brad
breadwild@gmail.com

Transminator

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
Hi

I just found this recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkepmm-5pNQ

Basically you tie a version of the truckers hitch. But instead of just passing the end through the midline loop (e.g. butterfly knot) you add a round turn. I have played around with it for a few days and I find it a very simple and well working alternative. It safes the trouble of tying an additional loop near the end of the line. In practice I found it had to be adjusted sometimes because it was to far or to close to the other loop when using the versatackle.

With the above version, I still tie the end with two half hitches because I would not trust it to hold, if there is lots of movement in the structure (as on a driving truck e.g.)

Greetings

T