Author Topic: hitching 4 strands onto a ring  (Read 1625 times)

ftnpenlvr

hitching 4 strands onto a ring
« on: March 29, 2019, 05:43:27 PM »
I'm working on a hammock chair for my wife.  I have 4 strands, middled, on one ring, running as a round(ish) plait to either end of a spreader bar.  From there, the 4 strands pass through a hole in the bar, and I need to hitch those onto the rings that will support either end of the chair.  I don't know if I can pull the strands back through the hole to splice them back into the plait - not big enough, so, I'm looking for a good way to hitch onto the rings, preferably somewhat decoratively, but that won't result in my wife hitting the ground the first (or fortieth) time she hops in the chair.  I might be the next thing hit, in that instance...  :-D

It may well be that I will need to untie that hanger and bar, and use some longer cords, as I only have about 6" to work with, but, any suggestions will be most welcome!

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
Re: hitching 4 strands onto a ring
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
Hello ftnpenlvr,

I hope you are using thimbles, or some other chafing prevention where the rope meets the rings.  I would probably use an eye splice around a thimble and back along the plait to secure the line to the ring.  Six inches of line isn't a lot to work with, and more than likely not enough to have a splice that will be secure.  Perhaps covering the splice with a Turks Head that also covers a small bit of the thimble would be an added measure of security.

Pat

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
I'm working on a hammock chair for my wife.  I have 4 strands, middled, on one ring, running as a round(ish) plait to either end of a spreader bar.  From there, the 4 strands pass through a hole in the bar, and I need to hitch those onto the rings that will support either end of the chair.  I don't know if I can pull the strands back through the hole to splice them back into the plait - not big enough, so, I'm looking for a good way to hitch onto the rings, preferably somewhat decoratively, but that won't result in my wife hitting the ground the first (or fortieth) time she hops in the chair.  I might be the next thing hit, in that instance...  :-D

It may well be that I will need to untie that hanger and bar, and use some longer cords, as I only have about 6" to work with, but, any suggestions will be most welcome!

Maybe you could join the two pairs of cords with two separate bends to retain the ring.  There are some decorative bends out there if the standard selection of practical bends don't quite look right to your eye.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

ftnpenlvr

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 09:11:06 PM »
Thanks all
I hadn't thought of a thimble, but had planned to hitch over the ring.  I think pairing 2 & 2 may be the magic, though I may end up just re-tying the lines going to the center ring, to give myself a little more to work with.  Far better that, than my wife hitting the ground (and quite possibly me shortly thereafter :-D)

Groundline

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:44 PM »
Here's some inspiration on page 588 of the Ashley Book of Knots
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:33:47 PM by Groundline »
Don't look at the Sun.

ftnpenlvr

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
Fantastic; thanks!