Author Topic: Maybe new ringbolt hitching or coxcombing  (Read 386 times)

rickan

• Richard M. Kandarian
Maybe new ringbolt hitching or coxcombing
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »
Updated 2nd time below.

It looks very much like the grapevine service, ABOK 3349, but that series of hitches is not interlocked the way this one is. This is almost as simple to tie, however, so I think it must have been discovered prior to my doing so. I'm curious to know what it's called and any known history of it.

http://kandarian.com/PhotoWeb/190301_RingboltHitching/IMG_20190301_095454~2.jpg

The binding knot on the right (ABOK 1253), which wraps the pipe 3 times, is the inspiration for the wrapping on the pipe which, if slid off (way to tight for that), would resemble the loose knot above it.

I think the cool thing about that wrapping is that each loop is a knot which holds tight (a half hitch does not, not like this one). There is nothing special about either end. I just stopped wrapping when the cord ran out and there was not enough to make another loop and pulled it tight and it stays tight. Both ends look the same.

Each end is held tight by two wraps passing over it as with ABOK 1253. If desired, each end can be modified to be ABOK 1253 though I'm not sure that's an improvement.

It's made by throwing half hitches over the pipe and then passing the end through the previous half hitch. So when pulling it tight you only tighten the previous hitch so that you can pass the end through the current one when you do the next one.

I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose the hitches could be reversed periodically to straighten the rib or make it follow some other pattern than pictured.

UPDATE:

http://kandarian.com/190303_ABOK1253Ser.jpg

Now I have tried reversing each group of three wraps and this brings me closer to my original goal of a repetition of ABOK 1253 knots. They are not those knots, however, because the standing and working parts do not cross under the twin wraps. This could be done, but I think it's not worth the added difficulty of tying and the added bulk except for the start and end units where the added security might be wanted.

UPDATE 2:

http://kandarian.com/190303_ABOK1253Ser2.jpg

Another series of the same knots as the previous update, but mating on the opposite side. These are not tied the same way (with half hitches) but in the manner depicted for 1253 in the ABOK but without crossing the standing and working parts under the twin wraps.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:51:36 PM by rickan »

rickan

• Richard M. Kandarian
Re: Maybe new ringbolt hitching or coxcombing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:59:50 AM »
A photo to help with tying.

http://kandarian.com/190302_RingboltHitching.jpg

All the loops are identical disregarding size and tightness. The bigger loop is the newest one and if you pull on the left side of it that will tighten the smaller loop. This is the best time to get it as tight as you want it. Next you make the newest loop a convenient size by pulling on the part that exits the bottom of the photo and add another loop. Repeat.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:23:06 AM »
I'm surprised to be who is first commenting, and at
a couple days after the OP !?

The binding knot on the right (ABOK 1253), which wraps the pipe 3 times,
is the inspiration for the wrapping on the pipe which,
if slid off (way to tight for that), would resemble the loose knot above it.
I have used #1253 as a whipping, from time to time.
And I call the starting knot for it a "cloverhand", as it has
resemblance to the clove but is an overhand topologically.

I think the cool thing about that wrapping is that each loop
is a knot which holds tight (a half hitch does not, not like this one).
Well, once one gets underway, and with a loose loop coming
after.  Maybe I should try this for a whipping, soon!

Each end is held tight by two wraps passing over it as with ABOK 1253. If desired, each end can be modified to be ABOK 1253 though I'm not sure that's an improvement.
Makes for a good whipping completion, surely.

Thanks!
--dl*
====

windychien

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 01:07:10 AM »
It is beautiful. Bravo!

rickan

• Richard M. Kandarian
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »
I have used #1253 as a whipping, from time to time.
And I call the starting knot for it a "cloverhand", as it has
resemblance to the clove but is an overhand topologically.
I like "cloverhand" and it prompts me to relate that three loops tied per my "whipping" are the ABOK 1253 but without crossing the standing and working parts and it is topologically a double overhand knot. If you tie a loose double overhand knot and you correctly cross the standing and working parts inside the loop without changing which side they exit the loop, you have ABOK 1253 if you have the patience to tease out the three loops and configure them correctly.

rickan

• Richard M. Kandarian
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 01:11:23 AM »

rickan

• Richard M. Kandarian
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »
A photo of it tied on itself:

http://kandarian.com/190321_ABOK1253_self.jpg

Just for fun.