Author Topic: Unknown Knot  (Read 271 times)

David Bodger

Unknown Knot
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »
As Guild Secretary I recently had an email from a non-member asking if we could identify a knot he knows as the Anacortes knot. I believe that this is the name he has given it. He learnt it some 40 years ago when a crew member of a NOAA research vessel and they used it rather like a trucker's hitch to secure equipment.
Several of us have had a good look at it but although we can see it resembles in part knots that we know it is new to all of us. So can anyone out there identify it for us (and him) or is it as yet unlisted as known? I'm afraid I have only pictures but they do explain how it is tied so my apologies I have had to post 10 images, but they are very small!
David

David Bodger

Re: Unknown Knot
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »
I see that I have only managed to post the finished knot. I have tried again but can only get one knot at a time to post so I suggest that anyone who might be able to help emails me at secretary.igkt.net and i will send the full set to you.
Many thanks, David

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
If i am decoding the attached image properly, with a degree of caution, i recognise a tugboat Tib bowline, or single dragon knot.
The same knot, has been presented in the following link very recently in video format.

Generally, it is a well known knot.

Link : https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=6824.msg44974#msg44974
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:37:19 PM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

KC

• latest project
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
Hi Dave and welcome.

The forum has a size limit on photos - 100 kbs and a limit of 4 per post.
This will require the pictures to be resized if larger.
There ways to resize them either online or using a photo editor program.
Another way is to link to them at a photo storage website, such as Imgur for example.
Or you can try describing them by words alone, but if you want clear understanding then a picture or two would be best.

Should you need help posting them you can email them to me and I will insert them into this post.
My email is listed in my member info gained by clicking on my avatar.

SS
Rope-n-Saw Life
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt.~