Author Topic: Alternative to the Taut-line Hitch?  (Read 322 times)

brifoz

Alternative to the Taut-line Hitch?
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
The knot shown here functions in a similar way to the various versions of the Taut-line Hitch. It is based on Ashley's number 1470 (a knot which deserves to be more widely known), but with an extra turn.

I don't think it has been widely used, but maybe someone here knows better.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Alternative to the Taut-line Hitch?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
You may be interested in this:

https://notableknotindex.webs.com/blakeshitch.html

The reference to ABOK #1470 brought it to mind.  Detail view of #1470 on left below.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:09:39 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

brifoz

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:44:19 PM »
Thanks for that! I have ABOK and I was aware of Blake's Hitch, but hadn't made (or had forgotten) the connection. This particular article is new to me in so far as it refers to reducing turns for less critical purposes, thus potentially reducing it to the 1470.

I use the 1470 in its basic form (reversed compared to the images here) with a loop for a simple jamming hitch, which is a good substitute for an elastic band or a cable-tie. It is extremely simple to tie and works well.

I haven't come up with any sources so far showing its use to form either a taut-line type or jamming hitch. As a taut-line it is in my experience less likely to spill if not perfectly set out and tightened than one or two of the regular ones.

breadwild

• Designer by day knot tyer by night
    • Business
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_grip_hitch

is another alternative. no ABOK number but a little neater than the tautline
-----
Brad
breadwild@gmail.com