Author Topic: Are there ways to prevent a crown sennit from stretching?  (Read 1601 times)

mdperry59

Are there ways to prevent a crown sennit from stretching?
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:34:29 PM »
Hi,

I have been using paracord to tie 3-strand, 4-strand, 5-strand, 6-strand, and 7-strand crown sennits.  In order to make them as snug and tight as possible, I routinely tie these as two-over crown knots.  However, the finished sennits, which have a left-handed helical twist pattern, can always be stretched slightly, (either by pulling on the sennit lengthwise, or by holding one end fixed and twisting the other end of the sennit in the opposite direction of the helical twist pattern).

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a different way of tying a multi-stranded round sennit (that will not stretch or lengthen after it is finished), OR, if there is a good way to somehow modify, or bind a finished round sennit to somehow prevent it from stretching like this?

Thanks,

- mdperry59
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:38:27 PM by mdperry59 »

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Are there ways to prevent a crown sennit from stretching?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:54:09 PM »
Hi,

I have been using paracord to tie 3-strand, 4-strand, 5-strand, 6-strand, and 7-strand crown sennits.  In order to make them as snug and tight as possible, I routinely tie these as two-over crown knots.  However, the finished sennits, which have a left-handed helical twist pattern, can always be stretched slightly, (either by pulling on the sennit lengthwise, or by holding one end fixed and twisting the other end of the sennit in the opposite direction of the helical twist pattern).

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a different way of tying a multi-stranded round sennit (that will not stretch or lengthen after it is finished), OR, if there is a good way to somehow modify, or bind a finished round sennit to somehow prevent it from stretching like this?

Thanks,

- mdperry59

Good day mdperry.

Perhaps consider using a core inside.

SS

anything