Author Topic: Help Needed - Making a gift for my Sister  (Read 3521 times)

guywilliam545

Help Needed - Making a gift for my Sister
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:07:19 PM »
Hi all

I'd like to make a decorative lanyard for my sister's birthday. She's part of a Community Samba Band in Gosport and I've ordered for her a nice engraved whistle for her birthday. My plan is to make something in the colours of the band uniform so I've ordered some coloured paracord (I know that this isn't everyone's cup of team when it comes to decorative work). Does anyone have a pattern for a fancy neck lanyard that would work with three colours of 4mm paracord?

Thank you in advance.

Guy.

Wed

Re: Help Needed - Making a gift for my Sister
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
How about this: http://www.frayedknotarts.com/tutorials/9-strand.html

My personal favourite is the eight strand square braid. But I can't find instructions for it at the moment. And I am not going to write one right this minute.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Help Needed - Making a gift for my Sister
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »
I think there may be a problem using more than 4 strands of paracord - it is quite thick. You might try a 4 strand sennit (there will be many YouTube videos on this) and for the 4th strand add a neutral colour (black or white maybe?). You could try a 6 strand sennit using 2 of each colour but this may be too thick unless you remove the core of the paracord first (sometimes called "gutting" it).

To make the lanyard make a long piece and in the middle slide a clip to hold the whistle, make a small hanging loop by whipping the sides together (and cover with a 3 part Turk's Head?) then add silver(?) connectors to the ends. Simple but effective.

Sweeney