Author Topic: yChan's Knot - Y96 Bend  (Read 931 times)

siriuso

• Exp. Member
yChan's Knot - Y96 Bend
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:14:34 PM »
Hi dear all,

I present here the Y96 Bend for comments.

Happy Knotting
yChan

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: yChan's Knot - Y96 Bend
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »
Hi dear all,

The flood of knot submissions with no written indications of the advantages, disadvantages, properties, etc. of the knots presented indicates that you're probably not taking testing and evaluation of these knots seriously.   You'll reduce your audience substantially if people think that you're wasting their time.

I think someone even mentioned a while back that they're not even sure if you're showing these as decorative knots! 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:46:37 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 11:57:36 PM »
Hi dear all,

The flood of knot submissions with no written indications of the advantages,
disadvantages, properties, etc. of the knots presented indicates that you're
probably not taking testing and evaluations of these knots seriously.
You'll reduce your audience substantially if people think that you're wasting their time.
Indeed.  Heck, just a matter of checking time (if we believe
these are *freshly baked* knots) with all the options to check
sort of implies the absence of such thought --which is tough!
(I often have trouble getting tied-in-ropes knots illustrated
on paper, as I find myself wandering off into "What if ...?"
explorations --and then end up with 2-3 more knots tied
in rope awaiting illustration!  --nevermind about testing!)

IMO, this one, which I just tied in two different ropes
(one a bit thicker but more supple than the other),
has a bit of "race conditions" (computer term) challenge
at dressing so as to achieve the balance of geometry
you show and which I think is desirable for best result.

This knot has an interesting way of interlocking,
of bearing against opposed parts.  One might question
where its weak points are --i.e., what will be the
rupture point (and how strong might it be!?).

(Now, I'll be trying to work my way down the list,
going LIFO (last in, first observed   ;)  ).

--dl*
====

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
Hi Roo and Dan,

Thanks for your comments and  I agreed that my knots needed testing and proved to be workable.

To be true, with all your comments on my knots, whether they are practical or not, are important and valuable to me. I do not have words of introduction because the knot tells.

All my knots presented here are tested but not by means of tensile strength device.

I enjoy knotting and it is one of my hobbies.

Happy Knotting
yChan

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:12:00 PM by siriuso »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 10:57:50 PM »
All my knots presented here are tested but not by means of tensile strength device.
If they are tested, tell us about the tests and why the knots are worth learning and using.  How do they excel over similar knots?  If the knot is more complex than similar-function knots, why is that needed?  Etc.

Don't worry too much about tensile strength testing of knots.  It's not a terribly important test.  You can shake knots in stiff or slick line to see if there are security vulnerabilities.  You can check jam resistance.  For more ideas, see:  https://notableknotindex.webs.com/knotfaq.html
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

knotsaver

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »
Hi dear all,

Happy Knotting
yChan

Hi yChan,
please have a look at this picture

Hugo Bend by Xarax

https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4090.0

Ciao,
s.
p.s. this was noticed by Xarax.
p.p.s. I say it again: I don't like that Xarax can't write on this forum.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 09:47:17 PM »
Hi dear all,

The flood of knot submissions with no written indications of the advantages,
disadvantages, properties, etc. of the knots presented indicates that you're
probably not taking testing and evaluations of these knots seriously.
You'll reduce your audience substantially if people think that you're wasting their time.
Indeed.  Heck, just a matter of checking time (if we believe
these are *freshly baked* knots) with all the options to check
sort of implies the absence of such thought --which is tough!
(I often have trouble getting tied-in-ropes knots illustrated
on paper, as I find myself wandering off into "What if ...?"
explorations --and then end up with 2-3 more knots tied
in rope awaiting illustration!  --nevermind about testing!)

IMO, this one, which I just tied in two different ropes
   [edit : nb, diff.ropes in ONE knot/tying!]
(one a bit thicker but more supple than the other),
has a bit of "race conditions" (computer term) challenge
at dressing so as to achieve the balance of geometry
you show and which I think is desirable for best result.

This knot has an interesting way of interlocking,
of bearing against opposed parts.  One might question
where its weak points are --i.e., what will be the
rupture point (and how strong might it be!?).

(Now, I'll be trying to work my way down the list,
going LIFO (last in, first observed   ;)  ).

--dl*
====

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »
Hi Roo,

Thanks for telling me that it is the same as the Hugo Bend discovered by Xarax. Certainly it is my mistake.

yChan

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
Hi Siriuso,

I think you will find that it is the Jug Knot, as is the 'Hugo bend'

Derek

PS  I also find it wrong that Xarax cannot post here - I often disagreed with him and his perspective, but he is a valuable knotbotherer.  If his writing offends certain individuals, they can always put him on ignore while leaving the rest of us to critique his offerings and attempt to educate him in his misconceptions (although from experience I know that to be a futile exercise).

I do not have a vote, but if I did, I would ask that his exile be revoked and he be invited to return, along with his crazy tangles and brilliant photography.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »
PS  I also find it wrong that Xarax cannot post here - I often disagreed with him and his perspective, but he is a valuable knotbotherer.  If his writing offends certain individuals, they can always put him on ignore while leaving the rest of us to critique his offerings and attempt to educate him in his misconceptions (although from experience I know that to be a futile exercise).
You and knotsaver can always e-mail or call the banned troll in question.  You can enjoy his supposed "value" without having to subject the rest of the board (including newbies who may not know better) to his slander, board flooding, intentional misrepresentations of posts, lies, harassment, stalking, threats, etc.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:52:33 PM by roo »

knotsaver

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
You and knotsaver can always e-mail or call the banned troll in question.  You can enjoy his supposed "value" without having to subject the rest of the board (including newbies who may not know better) to his slander, board flooding, intentional misrepresentations of posts, lies, harassment, stalking, threats, etc.

[intentionally left blank]

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »

I appear to have missed something, and of course, you are quite right, I can indeed email Xarax (although few will have his email and therefore are denied that route of communication).

Equally, you are free to take your own excellent advice published in your strapline - "If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List"."  which would leave others to make their own minds up and do likewise if they felt it appropriate.

But, getting back to the OP - do you have any comment on this being the Jug Knot?

Derek

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
Equally, you are free to take your own excellent advice published in your strapline - "If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List"."
That only goes so far.  The collapsed posts still bump topics to the top, allowing the offender to flood or hijack boards and effectively "bump down" relevant threads and posts.  Also, many newbies or occasional visitors who may not know to no-show the text of troll posts, will still see the slander, the lies, and the misrepresented posts.

I estimate that over the years we've lost a majority of our best posters because they got tired of the abuse of the (now) banned troll in question.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:07:17 PM by roo »

knotsaver

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »
Equally, you are free to take your own excellent advice published in your strapline - "If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List"."
That only goes so far.  The collapsed posts still bump topics to the top, allowing the offender to flood or hijack boards and effectively "bump down" relevant threads and posts.  Also, many newbies or occasional visitors who may not know to no-show the text of troll posts, will still see the slander, the lies, and the misrepresented posts.

I estimate that over the years we've lost a majority of our best posters because they got tired of the abuse of the (now) banned troll in question.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »

Why?  I'm sure everyone else is wondering, too.