Author Topic: Mystery Knot  (Read 445 times)

Mr. O

Mystery Knot
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:03 PM »
I've been feverishly grinding on the internet in dozens of normal and creative angles to identify and learn more about a knot that is apparently mislabeled and therefore extremely difficult to identify.

Perhaps you've seen these display cases in gift shops that have "Nautical Knots" pinned inside.

The knot I'm looking for is labeled as "Tuy Fling".

Is there anyone in the world who knows what this knot is really called?

As far as I can tell, there is no reference to it outside of those display cases, forcing me to assume that the name is made-up.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help with this mystery.

Current Favorite Knot: the Zeppelin Bend / Loop

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Mystery Knot
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »
Good day Mr O and welcome.

Give a look at this thread on the Jug Sling. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1948.0

SS

Mr. O

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:27:58 AM »
That's what I thought, ... thank you - thank you - thank you! you've helped with the physical knot part of this mystery.

Now for the other half of the "mystery" (as I put it), is the name it was given in the display case.

Since it's clearly a Jug Sling knot, why then is it labeled in a way that could be SO misleading?

My dad started me out on knot tying many years ago so I had enough sense to call this one into question by it's name.

Although it looked familiar, I couldn't get passed the oddly cryptic nature of the nameplate "Tuy Fling"

I'd like to think that I'm not the only one who calls out discrepancies like this one.

I think this kind of thing (totally mislabeling a knot) can cause problems for anyone just starting out with knots.

Anyway, since I've been getting back into tying again I thought I'd take a stab at making all the knots in the mirrored
display case that was a gift my brother gave to my dad about 15 years ago.

Really hope I don't find another mislabeling issue like this one again.
Current Favorite Knot: the Zeppelin Bend / Loop

alanleeknots

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:48:24 AM »
Hi All,
        Mr O, Well come to the forum. Since you are new here, I like to offer you an easy way to tie
        The jug sling knot from bowline.   謝謝 alanleeknots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBDn25h80KU&t=36s

Olegan67

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
I think that it is an error. So to say the name taken from a lantern. It is more similar to bottle knot.Bottle Sling Knot as the Jug Sling or Jar Sling Knot (ABOK # 1142, p 208).
The matter is that manufacturers of these boards-consumer goods not strongly give to correctness to the name of knots.

GlasafMT

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
Hi

To me it looks like someone has misread the cursive script from a different label?  Just looking at the nameplate for this one you can see how the T and J could be misread, and the same for the other letters?  Replace T with J; y with g and f with s and it's correct.