Author Topic: Source of black hard laid cotton twine in the UK?  (Read 276 times)

PolymathArtisan

Source of black hard laid cotton twine in the UK?
« on: September 10, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, so be gentle if I break any rules!

I'm doing my RYA Day Skipper in a couple of weeks. I really like those nifty Topman's bracelets I've seen at http://www.frayedknotarts.com/Ebracelet.html, and although I won't be properly qualified to wear it, I thought it would be a good excuse to make one to mark my 'license to sail'. In any case, I live in Birmingham (UK) and I'm sailing in Southampton, so I need to fill the time on the three and a half hour train journey on the way back! But I digress.

I have a good design laid out, and I now I need materials. I want to use cotton becuase I think anything else would feel bad against the skin (though people might have experience to contradict this?), and I want it hard laid (because I do) and I want it in black (and unwaxed!). Having recently enoyed playing around with some Wallace # 36 tarred line, I think I want something nominally around 2mm (somewhere near 0.08").

Having looked around a bit I have found a few places offering something like what I want, but I thouht I would ask a forum of knowledgable people for recommendations. This is especially since many of the places I have found seem to supply a dyed-after-made line, which in my experince creeps under tension and can then look really rather silly, and I want to get this work just right.

So, any suggestion or advice much appreciated! (ideally in the UK but I will go international if necessary and reasonably priced).

Blue skies, PA

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Source of black hard laid cotton twine in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum PolymathArtisan, I hope we can be of help. The name that springs to mind for well made cord from cotton and other materials is Mikko Snellman  - here is a link to his website: http://www.snellman.ax/. He also has a number of YouTube videos on the web. Unfortunately sourcing cotton cord in the UK can be difficult and good quality cord is very hard to find. I wish you luck but if you find something you are happy with do report back.

Sweeney