Author Topic: Rope Parts: Inlines, Radians, Frictions and Nips  (Read 275 times)

KC

• Exp. Member
    • latest project
Rope Parts: Inlines, Radians, Frictions and Nips
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
Pre-ramble:
i can now truly say that rope has fascinated me from 6-60!>>So much so writing this on vacation!
i have re-sharpened my definition of our friend rope many, many times.
i'm always trying to tell rope's story better; so once again will try to describe what i think i see.
i pull from many corners for this, perhaps all this is self evident to everyone else so not worth saying;
>>but no one showed me this assembly/or i didn't catch it if they did; i kinda clawed for it, so thought was mine to bring back.
In the forum spirit i invite questions, rebuttals, better explanations etc. of any specific part one may want to call out!
i think
A>rope only supports on inline column of length, and ALL strength is in number of supports and their geometries
>>The amount of INLINE column maintained is the strength/efficiency >>cosine gives us this value
B>All bent parts of line i relate to a half circle, radian pi in geometry and a greater force element as inherits 2 straight lines of pull (in model of transfer)
C>Frictions are a force reducer, and gives line grip to a 'mount' /item rope rides(? picked up 'host mount' somewheres in travels)
D>Nips: Rope tension position between 2 HARD surfaces to pinch SOFT (less tensioned) part of rope;
usually to pinch the SOFT Bitter End (after friction reductions to primary load pull ) , to secure lacing.

reference:
Mr. Clifford Ashley's Book of Knots is a massive undertaking of knot /lacing documentation that even with computers no one has even tried to dupe let alone surpass.
>>i constantly advocate reading thru pertinent chapters of ABoK calling the numbered items lessons in rope/forces(specifically not calling them knot numbers but rather lesson numbers)
>>the knots we commonly focus on seeing how many can tie and name etc. to me are just examples of the principles in the numbered lessons>>even tho tying the knot is destination, most of prize is in journey on these pages, the small bits of knowledge that are given and cover much wider territory that just that instance!
>>Principles applicable to any similar construction to groom into or steer away from in making knots and rigs.
With more and more understanding i've been thru all of the working class knot chapters many times!
To me many of these things are like parts of a recipe of orchestrated elements, like any other machine/architecture!
Copied Quotes and Pix tried to keep in olds-cool B&W
These are some of the key things sifted from the venerable ABoK knotting bible to the above theories

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:11:23 AM by KC »
Rope-n-Saw Life
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt.~