Author Topic: How to tie up line cutter to bcd  (Read 1714 times)

Sbiriguda

How to tie up line cutter to bcd
« on: July 28, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
Hello from Italy everybody this is my first post
I want to tie up a line cutter sheath / pouch to my BCD jacket

Sbiriguda

Re: How to tie up line cutter to bcd
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
In the second image you can see the BCD jacket
Of course I managed to make a knot myself, but I am curious about which kind of knot would be the best choice
You can see two holes with metal rings on the left side of the BCD jacket, right side for who is watching the picture
I have to tie up the pouch/ sheath on those holes. Under the holes there is a pocket

agent_smith

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »
Thanks for your question Sbiriguda.

So the conditions you have defined are:
1. The pouch/sheath must be attached via cord/string.
2. The cord must be fed through both holes of the BCD jacket.

We can easily see the 2 eyelet holes in the BCD but, what is not so easy to observe is where/how the cord would be fed through the pouch/sheath of the line cutter.

Its easy to visualize the cord feeding through the 2 holes in the BCD but, its not as easy to visualize exactly where the cord would be attached to the pouch/sheath.

All I can assume is that it is possible to create a 'loop' of cord (ie a circle).

This means an 'end-to-end' joining knot is needed.

Two end-to-end joining knots spring to mind:
1. #1415 Double fishermans bend; or
2. Zeppelin bend.

A Zeppelin bend is quite secure and can be easily adjusted. It can also be untied if you ever need to remove the cord for any reason.

A double fishermans - once cinched tight, is very difficult to untie (but it is also very secure).

Links:
[ ] https://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/
[ ] https://www.animatedknots.com/zeppelin/

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
Hello from Italy everybody this is my first post
I want to tie up a line cutter sheath / pouch to my BCD jacket
Without seeing the setup first hand, it's difficult to judge how much room you might have for tying knots.  I might be tempted to use a zip tie to avoid excess slack.

You could try tying the ends of a line together with a Zeppelin Bend or a Double Zeppelin Bend.  Slick or stiff line used underwater might need the latter if exposed to a lot of movement.  They have excellent security, compactness, and can have much of the excess line worked out without too much trouble.

I would wonder if a double or triple fisherman's knot might be a bit of a hassle to remove excess slack, and making adjustment after set may be infeasible if the knot jams as these specimens often do.

Common binding knots like a reef knot would have the advantage of taking out slack, but would likely have to be backed up with a fisherman knot-like structure or the like to prevent loss from jostling loose with the help of water lubrication.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Sbiriguda

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 03:21:04 PM »
Thank you very much, I appreciate your answers. I will try one of the knots you suggested, if I have time I will post some pictures so that others can see both exactly the setup and how it will look like with the knots you suggested. Initially I made an "ignorant" knot, just random, and it worked but I wanted something better. Then I tried an cable ties but I was unsatisfied with the result. The cable ties bend the sheath

Thank you again, will let you know

anything