Author Topic: Luggage rack nets  (Read 501 times)

Brianne163

• Hervey Bay Historical Village & Museum
Luggage rack nets
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:14:08 AM »
Hi
At our Historical Village in Hervey Bay, QLD, Australia, we have a display of various items collected from the wreck of the TSS Maheno which came ashore on Fraser Island in 1935. She was built in Scotland in 1905.
We have a luggage rack similar to the old steam train ones and it needs netting.
I have included a pic of another one which appears to not have the original netting.
It is approx 700mm long and 300 wide.
In each end bracket there are small holes which would appear to have had the netting cord through them.
I plan to use 2mm cotton cord as I feel synthetic braided would not have been used originally.
The larger diameter rail is split lengthways and I suspect that the netting had knots which were slid along to hold one side.
The opposite rail does not have a split.
My plan is to larkshead approx 20 double cords approx 500mm long to the smaller rail and then to use the knot which I use for doing glass ball net covers. (Sheetbend?) The main difficulty I see is maintaing the mesh size as I progress along the net. Any tips would be appreciated.
When I do the glass fishing floats, I eyeball the mesh size and slight differences are not noticeable when the net is drawn up around the ball.
Regards
Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor  (MRM)
Hervey Bay Historical Village & Museum
13 Zephyr St. Scarness
Tel. (Home) 07-4124 6526

asemery

Re: Luggage rack nets
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »
I would not use the larks head knot - too many ends involved.   Rather I would make a traditional net using the sheet bend.
Measure one side of a mesh in your net and using a guage of that size use the chain start to begin the net.  Then simply add rows of netting to complete the net

chain start tutorial

If you are not faminiar with the net making process this will show you how to make the knot

basic netmaking

Brianne163

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:37:49 PM »
Asemery....??
Now where have I heard that name before?
I have a heap of emails from you dating back to 2008 when I first got involved in ropemaking.
Many thanks for both links. I will study them.
I have wanted to get into netting for some time but never got around to it.
The number of cords don't really present a problem with this rack as  each pair will end in a overhand knot and be slid along the split in the larger tube for retension. I have 300m of the cotton cord so will probably try both ways as we actually have two racks..
Thanks again
BriAnne
Brian Taylor  (MRM)
13 Zephyr St. Scarness
Tel. (Home) 07-4124 6526

asemery

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 04:26:43 AM »
Over the years I bookmark anything that has to do with net making.  I took a look through and discovered this pdf file

luggage rack netting

Brianne163

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 04:58:30 AM »
Thanks Tony
Very useful, just what I needed.
Brianne
Brian Taylor  (MRM)
13 Zephyr St. Scarness
Tel. (Home) 07-4124 6526