Author Topic: UK suppliers of knotboard parts  (Read 5123 times)

climber101

UK suppliers of knotboard parts
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:54 PM »
Hi,

I've made a couple of very mediocre knotboards before using bits from local suppliers that have been pretty plain and have been wanting to try and make a couple more "professional" looking ones for a few close friends for a while.   To help me out can any of you experts please suggest any good suppliers for

a)knotboard frames (looking for classical looking wooden frames with a bit of feature on them)
b) Bronze looking frame edge pieces?
c) gold looking metal tags that you can put the knot names on and how do you engrave them with fancy script?
d) suppliers of classical looking knotboard cord about 6mm diameter

I could go on...!  but any advice on the above should be enough to get me thinking,   best regards    :)

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: UK suppliers of knotboard parts
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »
Hello Climber,
We all find it hard to get those parts.
A and B have the same answer, you can get some frame parts in shops that sell frames for pictures, but not in all of those. Some hardware stores do also stock parts and model builder shops might be able to help you, either by selling or by sending youon to someone near.
An other way is to buy secondhand frames, carbootsales, garage sales, charity shops and so on.

C. For the brass plagues, I never heard of someone who bought them ready made in a shop, but some shops will make them to order, expect to pay fortunes.
If you can get the cheap, badly made, knotboards with the right kind of plaques, buy them and re-use.
Most of us will just do without. (In English you have a chance to buy them, in Dutch it is even harder, and some of use speak languages with even less speakers.)

D. You did not mention which part of the world you call home, but if you are in England, try Footrope Knots, Des Pawson for cotton cord.  knots@footrope.fsnet.co.uk
501 Wherstead Road, Ipswich, IP2 8LL

In America there are some others, I do not have their addresses but some other members here do.

I hope this is some help for you, I know it is not much but it is a well known problem with few answers.

Willeke

Sorry, I missed the heading of the topic, UK....
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:48:03 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

climber101

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:40:52 PM »
Thanks Willeke,

It's good to hear your comments that it is a "well known problem"  and the rest - just need to keep looking i think.   Will try the Footrope knots contact for sure thanks as I had a look at website and looks very promising.   Although I know a fair bit about knots from climbing for years I am no expert on the makeup of the different types of cord you can get, that said I have seen a number of different types of cord on others knotboards that i like the look of and will have a look on the site here for the knowledge.   

Another queston....do you know of any particular makes of cord that are favourites on knotboards because they look good/don't discolour/don't fray on cutting?

Regards Climber

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 03:04:11 AM »
Any young person's sport usually has trophys associated (Little League Baseball, Pop Warner Football, AYSO(soccer), etc).
Trophy outlets are equiped to engrave the small brass name plates that are attached to these trophys. I believe these
"trophy shops" would engrave small tags with any verbiage on them. Perhaps inexpensively??? (Thats in the U.S., I assume
the same is true for the U.K.)
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 10:16:30 AM »
Hi Climber

I don't know if the following link will be of any use to you, but the website has many more links to craft suppliers.    You might just find some useful bits and pieces.

http://www.craft-fair.co.uk/

As for the best type of cord, apparently any man-made or synthetic rope with a hard lay will suffice (I asked Jeff!!!)

Regards

Lesley
Lesley
WebAdmin

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 04:31:05 PM »
If you use synthetic cords you can cut it with a hot knife and it will stay in place, but it will sometimes show.
I prefer the old fashioned hardlaid cotton for traditional knotboards, if you use that, you need to fix the ends. I sometimes use glue for that, sometimes I tie constrictor knots around the ends.

An other trick I heard about is dipping the ends of the string in melted red wax, either candle wax/ modern replacements, or the old wax they use to seal letters.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

JG

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:15 AM »
Hi

If you are still looking for 6mm cotton try Tradline @ Braunston they have many different sizes and at a very good price look on www.tradline.co.uk or call Pete on 01788891761

J